Soothing Voices

I was driving furiously. Furious would have been an understatement for my state. I was scared, traumatized and angry altogether.

Randhir was gone!

My worst fear had come into realisation and I couldn't get a grip over my traumatized self. I sure had assured myself that his presence was just temporary and he would soon go away, leaving me all alone, again. I had started to pacify myself even before the disaster struck. But I couldn't gauge the amount of hurt which I was feeling when he was actually gone. I could feel the tears threatening to fall and my eyesight going blurry each second while driving as his memories clouded my mind.

The first glimpse of his wrecked self lying beside me on the road. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. His face looked so peaceful and surreal that I almost felt like I was dreaming. How could someone be so perfect? I didn't fall for him out of obligation. It was a feeling that gradually grew within me while peeling through inner him.

The phase of his depression was so difficult. I felt like someone was ripping my heart out while I watched him fight his own self internally. I could do nothing to help him rather than a shoulder to cry on. He was in so much pain and I didn't even know the storm that was whirling in his mind. He lost all the little love that was left in his life. He lost his mother. He was betrayed by the women he thought loved him. His family made him compete against his own brother. He detached himself from his friends. He couldn't suffer more and probably that was why he jumped in front of the truck which was supposed to crush me that day. I was supposed to die that day, not him. I had no one, no reason to live, no one to look behind and regret dying but he still had. Though he was too blinded by people to notice that but he still had his friends. Friends who were even ready to die for him.

An agonised cry left my mouth as I took a left turn.

Why? Why? Why? Why did he have to come in life and complicate it so much? I was already broken and he was breaking me more.

His real self-or what I assumed it to be because it was too good- the way he smiled, laughed at my poor jokes, ruffled my hairs with his warm palm, our evening chats, late night dinners, the day out at the beach, our kisses, his touch all of a sudden started to feel distant things to me. Oh how well he blended in with my friends-like they were his own friends.

I felt a strong pain shoot across my chest as the pictures of the memories slid in front of my eyes.

I could do nothing to keep him for me. He was never mine to keep anyway.

As soon as I parked before a fancy looking building, I didn't waste my time admiring the architecture, rather I sprinted towards the entrance with my heart thumping severely against my chest. A solicitous looking Vidushi opened the door and I was immediately squished into a hug by her.

"Are you alright? Did they get you? Did they hurt you? Oh my God, I should have warned you about them Sanyukta!" She left me breathless after the hug as she pulled me inside and locked the door.

I was coughing harshly when I felt a glass of water was handed over to me. I gulped down the contents in seconds and looked up to see Parth patting my head with a weak smile. Vidushi, in her own slightly shivering self, escorted me to their living room where I settled down on the couch to sober myself up.

"Are you sure that they took Randhir? Did you see everywhere?" Parth settled down beside me as I swiveled my neck towards him and nodded helplessly.

"Randhir's room being the only place in my apartment which is left in a wreck indicates only one thing-they have got him." I felt the same hollow sensation in the pit of my stomach which I used to get whenever I thought of not seeing him ever again and a sudden urge to throw up rose from within me. I clutched the handrest of the couch hard supressing my anger and frustration.