Six

I've been on cloud nine since my evening with Liam. I wrote a detailed entry about it in my journal, feeling like I was back in eighth grade writing about my latest crush. All day at work I have been walking on air, so much so that even Roberta, my cubicle mate, noticed and looked at me like I've got five heads. It's like nothing can bring me down.

Except a black BMW.

My nostrils flared as a mixture of fear and anger flooded my veins. I can't even deal with this shit right now! I mean, what the fuck? No one in this office drives a black BMW. This was getting ridiculous. And scary—I was having a hard time believing that this was just paranoia.

Something was wrong. I could feel it.

Jumping in my car, I locked the door and cranked the engine to life. As I sped out of the lot, I saw the exhaust coming from the BMW's tailpipe.

I contemplated calling Liam to tell him I'd seen it again. He was the only person I'd told about the car, so it seemed like the natural person to turn to. My fingers shook as I dialed his number, and he answered on the second ring.

"Charlotte," he greeted me, and the moment I heard his voice, I felt better, but I also felt an urgency to tell him about the car.

"Liam, I need to talk to you," I said, not bothering to beat around the bush.

"What is it?"

"The BMW is back," I blurted. "And this isn't the first time I've seen it in the past few weeks."

"What? Why didn't you tell me about this before?"

"I don't know...I guess because when I mentioned it in passing before, you said it was probably just paranoia," I said, hating the lump rising in my throat.

Liam sighed. "Charlotte, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't listen." I could hear the pain in his voice.

"No, don't be sorry. Just—what do I need to do?"

"Come over. Now," he insisted.

I had to stop for gas on the way because I was on empty, but when I pulled through the gate, Liam was standing in the middle of the U-shaped driveway, waiting for me. I put my 4-Runner in park and jumped out of the car right into his arms.

He stroked my hair and kissed my temple. "Are you okay?"

I nodded against his lips. "I think so. That car is just freaking me out!"

"I can understand that. Have you gotten a license plate number?"

I shook my head. "It has drive-out tags. I can't see the numbers; they're all faded. Plus, I don't want to get any closer than I have to."

"Well, maybe I'll be with you next time you see it. And I can confront the creep with you."

"That would be amazing." I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him, tentatively at first, and then as he slid his hands around my waist, I felt my desire growing. I wasn't ready to sleep with him yet, but all I wanted was to just let go.

Liam felt my urgency and lifted me into his arms, carried me inside, and up the stairs. I laid my head against his shoulder and enjoyed his closeness.

We reached a room at the end of the hallway, and he opened the door and hit the light. When my eyes adjusted, I gasped. We were in the most extravagant, beautiful bedroom I had ever seen. In the middle of the room, there was a California King four post bed, complete with what looked like a down comforter and about twenty pillows.

He lay me down, and I sank into the mattress and pillows. He settled down on his stomach beside me and propped his chin on the palm of his hand. We stayed that way for a moment, lost in each other's eyes. I broke the moment, pulled myself up, and leaned against the headboard.