Thirteen

I scrambled to my feet, ignoring the pounding in my head. Liam rounded the couch and stood in front of me.

"Did you hear me? What in the fuck do you think you're doing, Charlotte?" Liam demanded.

"Don't talk to her like that, asshole," Andrew said, stepping between me and Liam.

Liam ignored him and shifted to my other side. "I asked you a question."

"Nothing, Liam. I am sick. I woke up this morning feeling like shit, and I came home so I wouldn't get you sick. Andrew called me and wanted to bring me some soup and watch a movie with me. So I said yes. Because he's my best friend."

"Best friend? Please. I see what's going on here."

"What's going on? I had my legs resting on his lap, big deal," I said, feeling so sick I didn't even think to choose my words with care.

Liam was staring a hole through me, and he spoke again like I hadn't even said a word. " I told you I didn't want you seeing this guy," he spat, stepping toward me. I put my hand out, palm facing him.

"First of all, you don't get to tell me who I can and cannot see. Second, Andrew is my best friend and has been for twenty-five years. You can't expect me to just cut him off. That isn't fair. It's abusive, Liam." That was the first time I'd used that word out loud.

Liam scoffed. "Save the psychological bullshit. You forget who you're dealing with."

Andrew chuckled from where he had leaned against the doorway behind me, letting me handle the situation. "What a tool," he muttered.

Liam's eyes darted to him but didn't respond. He looked back at me and continued talking, his fists clenching and unclenching. "I forbid you to see him again."

I laughed out loud. "You forbid me? Oh, that's rich. You can't forbid me to do shit, Liam. We're done. I'm done. Andrew is my best friend, and I will see him whenever I want, and if I want to fuck him, I'll do that too," I said, knowing I was pushing him to the limit, but unable to stop myself.

Liam stepped toward me, his eyes even more menacing than before.

I stepped back a hair toward Andrew, a little scared of what Liam might do. Surely, he wouldn't hit me.

"You're such a fucking slut," he hissed, raising his fist to me, and my jaw dropped.

Before I could even say anything, Andrew was in front of me, nudging me behind him. He grabbed Liam by the collar and jerked him forward. Liam struggled, but Andrew was stronger.

"You son-of-a-bitch. Do not ever talk to her that way. In fact, don't talk to her ever again. Or I will beat the shit out of you. And don't even think about raising your fist to her again," Andrew growled, letting go of him and shoving him backward in one fluid motion. Liam rubbed his neck, straightening out his collar. Andrew turned to me and put his hands on my cheeks.

"Char, are you okay?" he asked me. I nodded, breathless.

Liam stalked toward us, and I tried to warn Andrew. But it was too late. When he whirled around, Liam swung and punched him square in the face.

"Liam! Stop it!" But Andrew was hitting him back, and before I knew it, they were on the floor. Andrew pinned Liam to the rug and was hitting him in the face, over and over.

"Andrew!" I screeched. "Stop! Please!" I was terrified that he was going to kill him. Andrew saw the fear in my eyes and stood up, closing his right hand over his bloody knuckles. He wiped his face with his sleeve, blood smearing the white cotton. Liam sat up, also wiping his face on his shirtsleeve, the blood staining the designer fabric.

My chest was heaving up and down, my auburn curls wild around my face. "Liam, please. Leave. And leave me alone, I'm begging you."

Liam stepped toward me, hand outstretched, as if he thought that after all this, I'd let him touch me with a ten-foot pole. Andrew put his arm around my waist protectively.

"Get out," Andrew seethed, pointing toward the door.

"Charlotte, please," Liam pleaded. I recoiled from him, my eyes filling with tears.

When I didn't respond, he glared at Andrew one last time and disappeared out the front door.

"Andrew," I gasped. "I—I can't—" I felt my knees buckling and my body was shaking all over. Andrew picked me up and got me to the couch before I fell to my knees.

"Charlotte, I think we need to get you to the hospital. Something's wrong."

I nodded. "I think so too."

"Hang on babe, I'm going to call an ambulance," he said, pulling his phone out of his pocket. I noticed the screen was cracked. Stupidly, I felt guilty for that of all things. My eyelids fluttered, and I struggled to stay awake.

"Yes, I need an ambulance at 7765 Evergreen Terrace. My girl—" He paused. "My best friend—she's sick...can't breathe or stand on her own, she's shaking all over."

He almost said girlfriend.

That's the last thing I remember before I lost consciousness.