The Light in the Dark

Not mine by: CA Crawford

Harry had just had the worst argument of his life. Ron had always had a temper and when Harry finally unleashed his wrath they rowed back and forth like he had never thought possible with his best friend.

Neville had tried to mediate but had fled when the blasting curses got involved. The entire dorm had nearly been destroyed. Ron had eventually stormed out after blocking a flurry of hexes aimed at his head. Harry repaired his own bed and laid there stewing in his anger.

Ron had barely been gone from the dorm ten minutes when the door opened again. This time softly.

“Harry?”

It was Hermione. Harry had thought that Ron would have stopped her in the common room and told her to leave him alone. Either he hadn’t or she had decided to come up anyways.

“Harry?” She asked softly again. He heard her picking through the wreckage of his belongings and blasted bits of the four posters. When she seemed to have reached his bed she stopped.

“Harry? Are you awake?” Her voice was quavering.

“I don’t want to talk Hermione.” He replied gruffly into his pillow. “Go away.”

“We don’t have to talk, but I’m not leaving.” She repaire Ron’s bed then took a seat facing Harry. Harry sat up to face her.

“I told you to go away.” Harry glared at her. Infuriatingly, Hermione simply glared back at him. “And what makes you think I’d do that?”

“Because I don’t want you here.” Harry snarled. He made his way over to the door and held it open for her to walk through, but Hermione made no motion to leave. She simply stood and faced Harry.

“You don’t mean that Harry.”

“Yes I do now go! Go! GET OUT!” He roared. What part of this wasn’t she understanding? “Leave! Get out of my life! All I want is to be alone! Just like Voldemort wants. Alone. Just me and Him to face each other.”

“So that’s why you packed your rucksack?” Hermione was looking at his rucksack that he had indeed packed and placed on top of his Firebolt. “You can’t leave Harry, and I don’t think you even want to.” She was still speaking calmly.

“AND YOU KNOW JUST WHAT I WANT DON’T YOU!?! LITTLE HERMIONE, WHO STILL HAS HER MUMMY AND DADDY, NOT TO MENTION ALL THE WEASLEYS, KNOWS WHAT I WANT!” Harry was screaming now. He was screaming so loud he thought his throat would tear. “YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT! I WANT IT TO BE OVER! I WANT TO DIE AND TAKE HIM WITH ME! AT LEAST THEN I COULD SEE MY PARENTS…SEE SIRIUS AGAIN!”

 At that his wand sent another blasting curse that left a large black mark on the wall. He was glaring at Hermione, wishing for all the world she would take that sad look off her face. That her eyes weren’t swimming with tears. What he failed to notice were his own tears.

“H-Harry.” Hermione’s voice was raspy, as if she was barely keeping herself from losing control. “P-Please don’t talk like that. You don’t want to die.” Her lip was quivering and she took a step towards Harry.

“Yes Hermione, I do.” Harry’s voice was lower now. He didn’t feel he had the strength to yell anymore. He let all his resignation seep into his voice.

“I’m tired Hermione. I’m tired of people close to me dying. Everyone who loves me ends up dead. Everyone in my life is better off leaving me. It’s better for me to just hunt him down and try to kill him, or die trying.” He walked across the room, attempting to pass Hermione and grab his Firebolt and bag.