CHAPTER II

I sit in my recliner, leaning forward, my pistol in hand. My heart is racing. My phone ringing startles me. "Hello... Joan, thank God. Listen, I think there's someone screwing around with me, and that he's still here. He left a note on the door, so I went and got my .44 magnum out. Yes, I know to be careful... listen, how long before you [THUNK-THUNK] what the hell? Call me back, there's a loud noise up in my office. Yes, bye." I make my way up the stairs, watching the floor above. Easing down the hall I stop for a second, my heart pounding. My office door is slightly ajar, so I push it slowly while staying out from in front of it. I flip on the light. Nobody. Okay, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I plop down in my desk chair, and swing around so I can look out my window. Blast it, forgot about the lamp. There, now I can see out better. No vehicles in the yard. Ok, so the knocking on the door and the note freaked me out. So I go down to make some late night coffee. [SLAM!] The back door screen again! I push the screen open, looking around. Don't see anybody...wait, there! "Alright, asshole! I've got a loaded gun! Come out behind those bushes, or risk a bad case of lead poisoning!" Great, I'm so scared I'm cracking bad jokes. Aha! "Hold it right there...kitty cat?" Jeez, I almost shot Fuzzy. Well, I guess it's safe to go back in. "C'mon Fuzzy. Let's get some milk, okay?" I lay down my gun on the island counter, and grab the gallon of milk from the refrigerator. "Here you go, bowl of milk. Enjoy." I get me a tall glass and fill it with some ice cold milk. I turn from the refrigerator, and my gun, it's gone. What? How could it be? No one in here but me and the cat..right? Ok, I'm seriously freaking right now. I look on the floor, see no dirt tracks, but my own. What was that? Down in the basement, a loud noise. I slowly open the door, and nervously fumble for the light switch. Easing down each step, I bend over more, trying to see around the staircase. Over there, something moved in the shadows. "Hey! Whoever you are, just stop this game..[Oh shit..! THWUMP!] The next thing I see is one of the EMTs checking my eyes. "Mr. Wylde, how do you feel? Dizzy, headache?"
"No, just sore, and my legs feel extra sore."
"Okay, I think your okay, but if you get real dizzy, terrible headache, get to the e.r., all right?" I shake his and his partners hands, thanking them.
"You gave me a fright, laying on the floor, unconscious. So I called for the EMTs. Come on, let's go to bed. I'm exhausted." So am I, thinking to myself. And how did she happen to come home at that particular time? Oh well, we can talk later, the sandman is calling me.
Next morning the smell of waffles and bacon, coffee stirs me from my slumber.
"Good morning baby. Sit down, I'll bring it into the dining room." I do, and she sets a wonderful breakfast in front of me. She is actually going to eat with me. Been months since she's been able to do that. "So, why was your gun in the refrigerator?"
"Huh, what are you talking about?"
"When I got the milk and bacon out of the refrigerator, your gun was in the door. That's very dangerous, could've fell out and killed me...or you."
I sat there, dumbfounded. My gun...I didn't put it in the refrigerator! And the way she said ".. could've killed her or me." Why did she emphasize me like that? Her phone goes off, work calls.
"I'll try to get home for supper tonight baby, but don't be mad, okay?"
"Never, honey. Love you...be careful, okay?"
"You too. Try not to play 'John Wayne' anymore, okay?"
"Yeah, sure." She drives away, and I push my plate away. I pick my phone and dial Daniel again. "Well, it's about time you answer your phone. Hey listen, I need to talk. Yeah, it's important. Can you come out here? Great see you then, bye." Yeah, Daniel is good with helping me with this type problem.