CHAPTER IV

The incessant beeping drags me from my deep sleep. The deepest I've ever known. As I try to focus my eyes, I feel someone touching my left arm and I instantly move it and hear a woman's voice.
"No no, Mr. Wylde, don't jerk your i.v. line like that. I'm just making sure it's still running good. I'm your nurse this morning, my name's Donna, okay. Just press your call button if you need anything, okay sweetie?"
She walks out, and I struggle to even move my neck and around. I put the head up as far as it'll go, and look out my window. I press the button.
"Yes sir? Do you need something?"
Weakly I say "Yes, something cool to drink please."
"Yes sir, I'll let your nurse know, okay?"
I fumble to turn the t.v. on, and land on a old movie, good enough. Soon the nurse brings me a cup of ice water. I slurp through the straw, letting the cool linger in my throat. A knock on the door. I suddenly see a giant teddy bear, and Daniel, grinning.
"Hey, looking good, my man!"
He sits in the chair beside the bed, grabs my hand and with a tear in his eye.
"I thought I'd lost you, man! That damned black mamba nearly killed my best friend!"
"That's what bit me? No wonder I feel like shit." We have a good laugh.
"Joan's at the police station, working with a herpetologist, trying to find out where that one came into the United States, because they are found mostly in South Africa. Took twelve vials of antivenin for you man."
"Swell. My hospital bill will be two hundred grand I bet."
"At $10k a vial, that's a conservative amount. Listen, I got some errands to run, okay? I'll see you tomorrow."
A black mamba...how does such an exotic and deadly snake get into the United States, and especially in my house?! I thought about it and thought about it until I got a headache. I let the head down and go to sleep. Two day's later and I'm able to go home. Joan helps me to our bedroom, and puts me in the bed.
"Wyatt, I've hired a new housekeeper, and she's a trained nurse as well. Her name's Ms. Fisher, and she'll be here in about two hours."
"Swell. A stranger to take care of me. Oh well, thanks honey."
"Alright, I've got to drive down to a 'snake farm' about one hundred and eighty five miles. Probably be tomorrow before I get home, okay baby?"
"I guess so. Be careful. Hey! Has the house been checked for any more snakes?"
"Yes, and it's clean. Bye baby."
Swell. Alone again, only I'm not able to get around good yet. That poison did a hell of a lot of damage. My legs are weaker than before, and my stamina is extremely low. Where's my phone? Aha, got it.
"Daniel, could you come over and help me with the new housekeeper, get adjusted to her? Good, see you then."
I feel a little better. I sit up on the side of the bed, and weakly stand up. I shuffle slowly to the door, and cautiously down the stairs. I go into the kitchen and have to sit down. So weak. I rest for a while, then get a Dr pepper and sit down in the dining room. There's Daniel.
"Come on in, it's open."
"Oh that's smart. Leaving your door unlocked."
"I don't think the new housekeeper has a key yet."
"Right. What's her name?"
"Ms. Fisher. Trained nurse and everything. Hey I bet that's her."
"Mr. Wylde, hello there. My name is Ms. Fisher."
"Yes ma'am. Welcome aboard."
"Yes sir. I'm going to get started cleaning, okay?"
"That's fine."
"Well, she isn't what I expected. Very warm, charming even."
Daniel goes out to his car and cones back with a box.
"What you got there?"
"A box of stuff for you."
"What is in here... book's." Eleven novels, from my favorite writer's.
"Thanks man, I appreciate this."
"No problem. Enjoy."
We go into the living room and watch TV for a couple hours.
"Hey, wonder when she's going to fix lunch? I'm hungry, man."
"I don't know. Haven't seen her since she went upstairs."
"That was over two hours ago. I'm going to check on her. She's probably taking a nap."
I settle back into the TV show. Few minutes later I hear what sounds like two people struggling in the attic. Suddenly a loud crash alarms me. I hear a thud outside. I open the front door, and I see Daniel laying on the ground! Blood coming out of his mouth and nose!
"Daniel! Can you hear me? Daniel!!" He doesn't answer!