Alerting

Chapter 20

With her hands in her grey pant suit pockets, Jada approaches me with eyes on her feet. I look at her ankle boots only thinking of how much it would hurt to be kicked by them. In moments like these, I realize how much Jada freaks me out.

"You know, I wouldn't expect your Pope to let out his precious Samantha all alone, out in the night."

She stands in front of me, asserting her confidence.

"Being precious doesn't make me fragile," I answer back.

She sighs with a small smile on her face. "Mmh-hm. Yeah, and with that mole in the Union, it really makes you think doesn't it?"

"A mole?" I question playing my part. I haven't seen anyone from home in months, what are you talking about?

"Yeah, and a successful one at that. He's been under the radar for several years now, I believe."

"Why are you telling me this? Shouldn't this be confidential?"

"Well, I am not even supposed to be seeing you right now, so breaking another rule can't hurt much."

Even under nothing but a dim street light, I can tell how bright her lipstick is. The smooth breeze pushes her long hair back. She comes to my side and puts and arm around my neck.

"Having a mole in the group of people you trust most really makes you think how unfortunate it is that  no one is truly loyal these days," she starts leading me forward, closer to where she had been waiting for me initially.

"Maybe since no is who they claim to be in the first place, people can't seem to keep their alliances  in check."

She chuckles. "Why do I feel like you hate me, Sam?"

I don't say anything. I can't say anything. How can I answer that when I don't really know what I feel towards Jada and everything she claims to stand for? I know believe De la Rea, but does that really Jada is the most evil of them all?

I want to start asking things, to make it seem like I'm still as clueless as our last meeting, but I wait until we get to the car.

She opens the door to her navy blue BMW and lets me sit in the passenger seat. She quickly makes her to the driver's seat.

"You're just here to talk. We're not going anywhere."

"Good," I reply, and I let my questions begin.

"Who are you really, Jada?"

"I told you already. I have my own group of people working with the Union to take down In Tenebris."

"No, I mean who are you? Not what you do."

She shakes her head. "Sam, dear. My job, what I stand for, makes me who I am. My family life has nothing to do with any of this."

"So, you do have a family?"

She raises her eyebrow.

"Fine, I won't push. But, I need you to realize that you are asking me to go against the only plan I have, the one certainty. I know that if I continue to do the Pope and Tito's work, I'll be relieved of my duties soon, and I'll make it to my family. If I betray them, I lose that, and who says you'll get me what I want?"

"Sam. Whether or not I have a family to go home to has nothing to do with how much you can trust me as a business woman."

She won't admit. She can't admit. In all the people around me that have claimed to be good and bad, De la Rea is the only one I believe, the only one I've ever felt sure about. I can't have anything happen to him, but to respect him, is to go against Jada as well.