12

"Hey, wake up!" Thompson hollered at Todd as he shook his shoulders. Todd was definitely startled, as he screamed as soon as his eyes shot open. Thompson's eye widened just in time for them to lock eyes with each other. Not a moment passed before Thompson was sent reeling back from the punch he had just received in the face..

"Ow, fuck!" Todd yelled out the first cry of pain and Thompson looked up to see the prisoner sitting up, holding his hand to his chest. He was sweating and breathing heavily.

"Are you fucking kidding me?! I'm the one who should be saying that." He spat, his hand on his face. Todd was pretty strong, even for just waking up, because Thompson's nose was quickly leaking blood.

Todd also must have been quite the heavy sleeper as he wouldn't wake up to only Thompson's voice.. however, when Thompson started to shake him, it was the quickest he had seen anyone wake up before.

"Look, it's not really my fault! You know you're not supposed to do that you bumbling yack!" The prisoner spoke back in his defense, glaring at the sheriff.

"You know I don't care for those rules," Thompson growled as he pinched his nose, turning his head forward, "And besides, I actually had a reason. It was kind of funny to watch for a bit, but it looked like you were having a weird dream." He explained himself.

Todd's eyes widened. It looked like his breathing had calmed, but Thompson heard it hitch when he mentioned the dream. Todd didn't speak this time and Thompson knit his brows, releasing the pinch on his nose to discover that the blood wasn't coming as quickly as it was before.

"What's your problem? You really that scared of a nightmare." He asked, wiping the remaining blood onto his coat. The prisoner suddenly glared at him.

"I'm not scared of shit." He said.

"Then what were you dreaming?"

Another pause.

"I don't remember.." Todd mumbled, which made Thompson huff in frustration.

"You're such a fuckin' liar," he said, getting up and walking back to his desk.

Todd held out his non-wounded hand and grasped the bar. "I'm not lying!" Thompson rolled his eye. He didn't believe him for a second.

Either way, the subject had been changed because it was clear Todd wouldn't be saying much else about the dream he had.

A long while passed, neither men starting a conversation with the other. Several days were like this, where they wouldn't even bother to speak to each other. Compared to the first few days, Todd was easier to deal with now that he calmed down, but that still didn't mean they enjoyed each other's company.

Thompson ended up lost in his own world, searching his desk once again for his lost journal. After a bit, Todd found himself watching the sheriff as he sorted through papers on his messy desk. His hands moved effortlessly, taking a stack of papers, sorting them, gathering some and throwing them into the bin by his desk. This guy definitely played poker.

"Hey."

Thompson's moving hands came to a halt, looking up at the cell again to see Todd looking at him, "What?"

Todd knit his brows, "What's your name?" He asked simply.

The two men never had a need for the formalities, which is why Todd had never figured out the sheriff's name. He knew now that he wasn't the detective that was listed in his journal. Edward Gold.. the shorter man with dark brown hair, the one from England. He was the one who had arrested a bunch of the bandits in the sheriff's journal. Man can't even do his own job..

But the journal never told his own name.

Thompson raised a brow at the bandit, "You don't need to know that." He said simply, to which Todd growled at his response.

"Yes I fucking do. Unless you want me to keep calling you 'yack,'" he huffed in frustration.

Todd was actually caught off guard when the sheriff smiled and chuckled. What was so funny..?!

When he stopped laughing, it left a small grin on his lips, "I'd rather you don't. It's Sheriff Thompson." He said simply, "Figured I would give you a pity win since you don't know anything about me."

Todd clenched his teeth, "Thats not true!" He said and Thompson sat back in his chair.

"Oh yeah? What do you know?" He challenged.

Todd's face went slightly pink, "I know that you're a fucking asshole." He said, to which Thompson laughed at again.

Todd glared at the laughing sheriff, but he didn't say anything. He leaned back onto his bed, staring at the ceiling in thought. Thompson. Somehow he expected something.. different. He couldn't explain it. He happened to find it awful weird how he could have a dream about someone who's name he didn't even know.