4 ~ caleb & california ~

Katie's POV

Finally a week had passed, and I was sitting at my laptop anxiously waiting for the website to post the winner's photos.

I refreshed the page a billion times, but nothing had shown up. I got bored and eventually waited a few minutes before trying again, and finally the site had updated.

I quickly scrolled down to find the post and I began to read it:

To all of our photo/story entry contestants: thank you very much for participating! All of your photos/stories were wonderful, and it was a difficult choice, but we made our decision.

This person's entry had gone perfectly with the theme of our contest, and the photos were very creative and unique!

We would like to congratulate Katie Donnelly on winning our photo/story entry contest! And thank you to everyone else who entered, it was quite a difficult choice because all of your entries were truly magnificent!

I read through the remaining part of the post and almost screamed once I saw my name. I won?! I then quickly printed the post on the site.

"I'm going to California!" I exclaimed as I wheeled myself into the living room.

"You won?" Mom and Dad asked excitedly.

I nodded with a grin. "Yep!"

"Yay! Congrats, Kate!" Mom exclaimed as she hugged me.

"Thanks!" I said.

"So, when are you going?" Brennan asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know, hopefully soon. I can only fly out with one other person, though."

"I can go with you," Mom offered.

"Okay," I grinned again. "I'm going to check my email to see if I got any information on that."

I headed back to my room and found that there was an email sent. I could get two plane tickets and I could fly out anytime, and hopefully I can get to California and meet Caleb!

"Mom, when can we go to Cali?" I asked a little while later once she came into my room.

"Whenever you want," she said.

"How about on the second?" I asked as we scrolled through flight days.

"Sure, sounds good," Mom said.

"Thanks!" I gave her another hug before she left the room and I ordered the tickets.

I couldn't wait to meet Caleb!

•••

Two days felt like forever, but finally it was July 2nd. Our plane left at nine, but I woke up at six because I could barely sleep from excitement.

I woke up and quickly got dressed and did my hair and some light makeup before trying to quietly go into the kitchen to get breakfast, but Mom was already in the kitchen.

"Morning, Kate," she smiled. "French toast?"

"Sure, thanks," I said as she handed me a plate. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I could ask you the same thing," she said with a slight laugh. "But I just wanted an early start this morning."

"I couldn't sleep because I was so excited," I replied.

"You're excited to go to California or you're excited to meet Caleb?" Mom asked. I had told her about Caleb after we ordered the plane tickets, but because she's all about "internet safety" and not giving out your phone number and such, I just told her I met Caleb through Instagram.