[4. Torture]

Tommy POV ~

"Who do you turn to when your colours a crime."

Beside us the fields became more common as we left the suburbs of London behind. All the greenery reminded me of years ago, when we would travel around with the gypsies sometimes. The constant feeling of fresh air, instead of the the thick smog that coated Birmingham, was refreshing. We'd all had an intense last night filled with drugs, sex and whiskey; which was no different to usual really.

"I never got a chance to ask Tommy, what was in that case they gave us then?" Arthur sat in the passenger seat next to me, as I drove with John in the back. We all had cigs between our fingers, puffing out the smoke every few moments as the journey continued on. I hesitated for a moment contemplating whether or not I should tell Arthur, incase he fucks around with 'em.

"You'll find out soon enough don't worry," This way at least everyone can know about the people we are working with.

"You know Tom you've been much better these past couple of days and it did ya good not being stuck in that house," John piped up from behind us. This whole trip has blocked out any thoughts of the couple of the past couple of months, leaving me in peace for once. Occasionally my mind did still flicker back to those thoughts, but I couldn't fucking help it she was always there in my head.

After another couple of good hours driving through the nicer area surrounding Birmingham, we reached the outskirts of small heath; where houses were covered in soot and crammed in close to each other. Children ran a stray, and husbands were drunk by eleven in the morning. This was not a place for the people who didn't belong here.

We pulled up outside the house where people walked in and out, obviously placing their bets on horses. I let the boys jump out whilst I sat there, keeping the engine running, deciding whether or not to head in.

"Come on Tommy," Johns voice became distant as he walked into the house, Arthur not far behind him. Whilst their backs were turned I quickly drove off, ignoring anything being said to me. If I stayed there I knew I'd be practically interrogated, so it's better if I just lock myself away in my office.

The house wasn't far from small heath, but it was quiet and in a large open space; away from all the shit back there. Something was telling me I really did need to go home for Charlies' sake and not just mine, it was unfair to leave him alone with the maids for days.

Gravel flicked up at the windows and sides of the car, as I pulled up outside the grand house. I was hesitant to get out at first thinking of all the memories that were kept here, and what it did to me once I was inside. Cold air cooled me as I walked up to the door, opening it to find a maid sweeping down the place.

"Mr Shelby I didn't expect you back until later," She said with a surprised look on her face.

"Well I didn't want to keep Charlie waiting," I hung my jacket up and took of my cap before heading into my office; remembering I still had work with the Russians to do.

No one had touched anything in the office, all the papers were left the same and nothing had been moved. The liquor table was tempting, but I decided to stay dry so I could get all the phone calls and paper work done that I needed to, so instead I lit a cigarette whilst realising that I'd need to stock up again soon.

Walking over to the desk my eyes skimmed over papers and letters, concerning artillery and weapons for the Russians and picked up a few that were in need of my signature.

"Daddy," A little voice mumbled from across the room. I looked up to see Charlie in Pols arms, walking over to me. The cigarette I lit I stubbed out before taking him out of her arms and tightly hugging him.