Voltron - Lance's Family

As a boy his eyes were round and the clearest blue, like the ocean in calm waters. He had hope running through his veins. I remember how he used to tell me to push him higher on the swings so he could touch the stars above. He always had this weird obsession with space saying that he will one day date an alien when he gets up there. The boy was usually very eccentric, and always up for a good time with anyone getting scrapes from all those activities.

     With such a large family we both learned to get well with all different types of attitudes so it was really surprising when I learned he got into fights at school. Yet when he gave his reasons I understood where he came from. He was only protecting his siblings, cousins, friends, and even complete strangers from bullying. Even with all his injuries he still kept up fighting for their safety. His heart was so kind as he cared for anyone when they needed help. 

     He was always ready for an adventure. Once when we were trekking through the woods we found a small lake and followed it to a glorious waterfall. The area was filled with a variety of flowers and vegetation. It was a perfect hide out area where we escaped to whenever times got to tough. 

     We snuck building supplies to the area and built a tree house. It was grueling work finding excuses for leaving and the items we took. Thank god we bought that wagon. I remember him doodling little pictures on it making it unique. He drew a lot of things like space and our family. Even wrote on the handle the it belonged to the McClain's. 

     We filled the tree house with desk, first aid kit, bean bag chairs, a telescope, and other things like that to make it home like. The walls were covered in splattered paint and messy drawings. We even made our very own swing set in the trees. It was a place were we could relax and look up at the stars at night. We spent so many nights there discussing random topics and just had fun in general laughing through the day and night.

     One day though I had to go to college and leave him behind. We were so close then so when I had to tell him the news it broke his heart. He cried so many tears about me leaving, even spent a night by himself at the tree house to re collect his thoughts. I didn't go after him cause I knew he needed the space. Our parents sometimes forget about we are here so sometimes they didn't even notice when we went missing, but they did then. Of course I gave an excuse he was having a sleepover at his best friends place. They were so worried for him though because they knew he would be broken by the news.

     The next day when he came back he enveloped me in the biggest hug he could muster crying onto my shoulder. We spent my last few days together doing whatever we could to make up for the days I would not be there for him. 

     When I was (a young boy) in gone we still messaged each other. When he got a phone he texted every night. We told each other about our problems. He always talked about what was going around in the house. It made me kind of feel like they didn't need me because they were doing just find without me. When I told him that he helped me taught me I was worth way much more than that. 

     Other than that he told me of how they got a goat. They named it Joshua Hamilton (AKA one of the staff writers lol). He said he picked out the last name as one of siblings picked the first one. He wrote that he was disappointed when they didn't pick Alexander as the first name. Him and his musical meme obsession.  He wrote to me how he got to milk Hamilton. The first time he got kicked in the face and sneezed at. All of his experiences were written in those notes to me. 

     I wish I was there with him when he got accepted into the Garrison. Everyone was so proud in him and I just really wanted to scream and hug him. Well I did scream in my dorm room when I read the message. My room mate and others around the area ran into the room to see if I was okay. I had to assure them I was okay as they screamed at me to see if I was injured. When I told them my brother got accepted they just looked at me if I was a total stranger. One of the most embarrassing moments in my life.

     We still chatted when he left for the Garrison. He was so exited that his best friend was going there too and was going to be his room mate. They wrote to me that they got a new friend nerdy friend who is super nerdy. Yet again his best friend was a bit nerdy too so they got along great. They were all on the same team too. He called themselves the Garrison Trio. 

     He even gushes about his crush he calls a rival. His "rival" was at the top of the class fighter pilot as he was a cargo pilot. They way he discusses the "rivalry" seems really one sided. Yet he got kicked out one day because people said he had a discipline problem making my brother a fighter pilot in his absence. I wish he would just admit his feelings for him than suppressing them. 

     I hope he is okay where ever he is. Our whole family is grieving for him ever since we heard the news the trio went missing. Everything has changed now that he's gone. I know he has a self worth problem just like I did, and I just hope he knows we all love him and he means so much to us. Our family might not know how he truly feels because he always kept his facade up. He let it down for me and I hope knows we all accept him even if they don't know. 

     Last time I talked to him he was writing all about how they kept comparing him to the drop out. He really did try his hardest but the Garrison needed more from him. He loved space but is it worth it always to be in some one else's shadow that people want you to grow into. Everyone is different though so even if he tried he could never be who they want them to be.

     The aura where ever we go now is glum and grey with knowing he might be dead or even tortured right now. Maybe he might be out in space right now and is saving the universe. That sounds really unrealistic though. Lance, wherever you are I hope you're safe because all I can do is hope. Now and then I go to our secret spot and just watch the stars and wonder if you are out there where you've always wanted to be. I hope you don't forget about us where ever you are. We'll never give up on you. We're only just waiting for your arrival home.