N I N E T E E N

"I swear, T. If this is how the psycho bitch kills us, I'm killing you again in the afterlife," Amelia grumbled as she trudged along. The branches of the dead trees pulled on their clothes and scratched their skin. Thomas sighed deeply as he pulled away another branch to make way for Amelia.

"Is that even possible?" He queried. Amelia rolled her eyes, letting out a scoff. She quickened her pace. "We're about to find out soon, then."

Teresa was up ahead. She walked alone in silence. Thomas could feel the hatred that Amelia had for her. They continued to trek behind Teresa. Nobody said a word. You could feel the awkwardness and tension.

Finally, Thomas mustered the courage to speak. "Where are we going? Do you really expect us to believe that this was all an act? Why didn't you stop when everyone else agreed not to kill us?"

"WAIT. This was an act?" Amelia broke out. She stopped walking and spun on her heel to face Thomas. He didn't have time for this. He got a hold of her elbow, dragging her along with him. She complained for him to let go but he didn't.

Teresa didn't acknowledge Amelia's outburst. But her reply to Thomas' question was... strange. She didn't turn back nor stopped walking. "You've met Aris, right?"

Both Amelia and Thomas did a double take. They exchanged panicked yet confused looks. "How do you know him?"

They hurried to catch up with her. She didn't reply right away. She picked her way through a tight pack of branches, one flew back and almost hit Amelia - if it weren't for Thomas who stood in front of her and let it smack him in the face. Once though, Teresa finally stopped. She spun on her heel to face him. She looked unhappy.

"I happen to know him very well. Much better than you're going to like," she answered in a tight voice. "Not only was he a big part of my life before the Maze, he and I can speak in our minds, just like Thomas and I used to do. Even when I was in the Glade, we communicated all the time."

She took in a deep breath before continuing. "And we knew they'd eventually put us back together."

Amelia looked at Thomas worriedly. He tried to search for a response but nothing came to mind. What she had admitted was so unexpected, he thought it was just another act - another joke. Teresa waited for a reply. Her arms were folded as if she enjoyed the sight of him struggling to speak.

"You're lying. That's all you do. Lie. I don't get why-"

"Oh, come on, Tom. You can't be this stupid," she insulted while rolling her eyes.

"I have no idea what the hell is going on. But only I can call him stupid, missy." Amelia glared at the other girl as she stood in front of Thomas defensively. She copied Teresa's body language and folded her arms too. Thomas scrunched his nose, unsure whether or not to take it as a compliment. Teresa dismissed Amelia with a wave of her hand.

"WICKED is all that matters now. Aris and I are going to do what we were told and life goes on," Teresa continued her speech. Amelia tilted her head to the side to get a good look of Thomas. He was just as confused as she was.

The snap of breaking twigs on the ground was heard. Teresa's burning blue eyes looked past their shoulders. Thomas didn't have the dignity to turn around and see who it was. Amelia spun quickly on her heel without hesitation.