The Last Vampire: Part 6

CHAPTER6

When Nora had finally finished with the pampering, Ella was positively glowing. She felt cleaner than she has felt since the fall of her people. Her skin was shining, her hair was soft as a rabbits, her breath was fresh and she was just altogether clean. Almost as if the past two thousand years had been wiped away.

Ella was ushered out the door with a torch in her hand. She was wearing a long black silk dress. It had a slit at the knee and its sleeves slid passed her shoulders and dipped down to her elbows. Nora had curled her hair and the pieces that weren’t pinned up were falling into her face.

“If you keep going right for two minutes,” Nora directed her, “Then you will reach an elevator. The lord is on the eighth floor. Don’t keep him waiting.”

Before Ella could thank her or even say a word, Nora had shut the door, and Ella was all alone.

It took five minutes for Ella to get to the elevator, and when she got in, she didn’t quite know which eighth floor she was supposed to choose. There were three; floor 8B, floor 8H, and floor 8M. Not wanting to get it wrong, Ella pressed them all.

Feeling the elevator descend to 8B, Ella realized the ‘B’ must mean basement. She let the door open then let it close. As she ascended, Ella watched the numbers change from 8B all the way to 2H where she took an unexpected stop.

Fearful of whomever, or whatever, could be on the other side, Ella backed up and let her fangs slide out. When the door opened, she was ready for a fight. Maybe a werewolf or a troll. Perhaps a few orcs. However, what she got, she would have never expected. A little blond girl skipped into the elevator. She was cute, and definitely human, probably twelve. She was wearing black pants, a black shirt, and a cape. Smiling up at Ella, she showed her a mouth full of fangs and hissed. Surprised, Ella cautiously did the same.

The little girl went crazy with joy and went into a giggle fit. When he parents entered the elevator, she shrieked in joy at them, “Mommy, daddy! Look!” she pointed at Ella, “She’s dressed just like me!”

Her mother smiled with her, “Yes, yes she is.”She was dressed in a torn white dress and her hair was sticking straight up. It was. . . Painted? Black with a white stripe and she had fake stitches all over her body. The father was dressed in a similar get-up and he smiled at Ella with the same awe as his daughter did.

“Wow,” he said with a smile, “Nice outfit. I love the tats.”

Ella didn’t know how to respond. Looking down at the little girl, she thanked them for the compliment.

The mother pressed the 6H button and asked Ella what floor she was going to.

“Uh, 8H.” She answered. ‘Cant she just see that the button is lit up?’

She looked confused at Ella’s answer. “You mean 8?”

“No?” Ella answered, pointing at the button 8H, “See? 8H.”

The mother looked at Ella like she was crazy. “There’s no ‘H’ there hun.”

Figuring that Ella was crazy, she continuously pressed the 6H button, hoping that it would make the elevator go faster.

Ella felt a tug on her dress and looked down at the little girl, “Yes?”

“It’s ok, I see the ‘H’ too.”

The little girl giggled and her mother pulled her out of the elevator as the door opened. Ella looked out of it and the area smelled entirely too much like human. She decided the ‘H’ meant human. When the elevator stopped at 8H, Ella let it pass.

As the numbers rose to 12H and 19H, Ella began to wonder what the ‘M’ meant.

The ‘H’s stopped at 20 and the ‘M’s began. The whole way from 6H to 8M was 22 levels without humans and Ella was relieved.

The doors opened and she stepped out. The human floors, from what Ella could see were a mixture of medieval and marble. The ‘M’ floors, or at least this one, was a mixture of black onyx and medieval.

Ella stepped out of the elevator and her footsteps echoed down the hall. Nora had put Ella in four inch black heeled boots that reached her thigh and they were loud. Taking them off, Ella continued down the hall. She hoped she was going the right way; there was only one hall and no doors so she just continued walking.

When Ella finally reached the end, there was a door. A beautiful door. It wasn’t decorated in a beautiful way per se, it was just the style, or theme of the door. It was designed in the style of her people. It was designed like the door on her temple.

It looked exactly as if it was taken right off of her temple and transported her. It was a perfect match. Right down to the large crack in the upper right corner.

Ella traced the cracked. Barely touching it as if she was scared it was going to break. Tears welled up in her eyes as memories flooded her mind. Memories of passing through the door every day. She remembered being carried in through the door by Mikhail when she was five and crying because she had accidentally drank from her tutor and nearly killed her, and again when she was twelve after she had first seen her people sacrifice Aztec warriors who had threatened their people.

She recalled the last time he had carried her through the door when she was twenty one, just two days after her body stopped aging. She remembered how she had gone too long without feeding and had collapsed during practice. She remembered him taking her to her chamber and letting her feed from him. She also remembered, more than everything else that day how he had looked at her for the first time as a woman and not a child. The glow of his silver eyes showing bright through his long black hair.

They hadn’t done anything of course. It was against the rules of her people. She was of royal vampire blood and he was a demon. Demons were meant to be assigned to a vampire and protect them from the time of their birth to the time of their death. They weren’t meant to fall for one another.

Ella shook her head of those thoughts and reached for the door. She opened them and walked in with her head held high. She wanted to look powerful and strong at their first meeting. Everything that had happened since she came to this castle had confused her to no end, she was ready for anything.

She stopped in the center of the room and took it in. All of it reminded her of her people. The tan stone floor, the golden trim and statues everywhere, even the cathedral ceiling. Even the throne resembled her people. It was tall, the back reached seven feet. Ella decided this was definitely the right room.

There was the sound of a giant rolling of rock, and the throne turned to reveal a large, well-built and handsome man. His hair was much shorter than she remembered, but his eyes gave it away.

The man smiled. “Hello there Elizabeth.” As his dimples grew deeper, his silver eyes began to glow, making Ella gasp. As usual, she was ready for anything. Just not this.

“Mikhail?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you all liked this chapter. I have a busy weekend ahead of me, so I hope this holds you all of until Monday or Tuesday.

Thank you everyone for reading!