The Last Vampire: Part 7

The Last Vampire has almost one thousand reads and it makes me excited. And with almost 50 stars, it puts a smile on my face. I know many of the people on here have much more, but it makes me quite happy none the less.

Thank you guys!!!

~~~~~

CHAPTER7

When Ella opened her eyes, she was on the floor and she wasn’t quite sure how she got there. Her head hurt from where she had hit the ground, and the dizziness from the impact wasn’t helping her confusion.

“Shh Eliza.” Someone whispered to her softly. She felt a warm hand rest on her head and the dizziness went away and as did the pain. The person continued to stroke her hair and whispered, “It’s alright. I’m here now.” Flashes of the past twenty minutes flushed into Ella’s head and she jumped out of the man’s arms.

Looking down at him, Ella could see that she must’ve hurt him. Not physically, but emotionally.

“Who are you?” Ella demanded. Refusing to believe that this man, no matter how much he looked like him, was Mikhail. Not even if he did use his nickname for her.

He took a step towards her, and she took two back. He looked as though he didn’t know how to respond and stopped. “Eliza. .  .”

“No!” She shouted at him, “You don’t call me that, only Mikhail can.”

“It’s me Eliza. Please.”

He took a few steps towards her again and she turned and ran. She didn’t even know if there was a way she could go to get away from him. In the farthest corner of his office, Ella saw an open doorway and ran for it. It opened into another hallway and she kept running. At the end of the hallway there were two doors. After a second of consideration, she took the right one.

Ella made the mistake of turning to see if he was chasing her. As she did, she hit a wall. Falling down, she realized it wasn’t a wall. Looking back, she saw it was him and began to cry. Even if this wasn’t Mikhail, he was definitely a demon and any demon that isn’t Mikhail is dangerous.

“Eliza,” he pleaded with her. “Please stop running from me.”

The man let her slide to the ground and went down with her. He held her until her crying subsided before lifting her off of the ground.

“Eliza. . . “

“Stop.” She whispered. “Please. Just stop.”

Ella let the idea of him actually being Mikhail sink into her head. She didn’t like that idea. After being alone for the past two thousand years, she had come to accept that she was the only survivor. “You can’t be Mikhail.” She said weakly as if trying to convince him. “Mikhail is dead. He died a long time ago.”

“Even if he hadn’t,” she thought to herself, “He would’ve found me sooner than this.”

“I tried to.” He pleaded with her as though he could hear her thoughts.

She looked up at him and cursed herself for accepting him. He looked so vulnerable at the moment that she forgot that he was, in fact, a demon.

 “I don’t believe you are Mikhail.” She told him with as strong of a voice as she could. “But I don’t think you will hurt me. . . Or at least not yet.” Looking away from him, she wiped away the tears that had fallen down her cheeks.

He knew that she didn’t trust him, but he accepted her submission for the time being and walked her out of the room. He opened the door to the left and walked her to a large room that she couldn’t decide if it was a bedroom or a museum.

There was a larger than normal king size bed against the far wall. It was covered in what she discovered as he set her down on it was black silk. The material caressed her skin as he pulled the covers around her. For the first time since she had seen him, he saw the smallest traces of a smile on her lips as she looked around the room.

“Everything here,” he said, sweeping his arm across the room, “was recovered from your temple. I restored most of them myself. It took quite some time.”

He had expected her to be happy, but she didn’t even answer him. He brushed some hair out of her face before kissing her forehead like Mikhail used to when she was a child. When he saw her cringe at his touch, he sighed and walked to the door. Telling her to rest, he closed the door behind him and walked out back to his office.

Ella was curled into a ball under the silk. She had taken the dress off after he had left and undid her hair as well. Out of all the times that Ella had met a new master, this was surely the worst one yet.

In a way, Ella hoped that this man wasn’t Mikhail. After all that she had been through the years, she wasn’t sure if she wanted her past coming back to her. She wasn’t a princess anymore. Not after all she had done. Yes, she had held up to the traditions of her people, but they were all dead. She felt it her duty to try and keep their ways alive.

What this man had done though, it wasn’t to keep her people alive. Yes, all of these relics resemble her people and their culture, but they hold little to no meaning. The vases and statues hold the same meaning to the history of her people as a fork does to the present.

The temples are what meant something. The people themselves meant something. Their souls, their lives, their blood. The average lifespan of her people was almost one hundred and fifty years. That is what made Ella’s grandfather want to stay with the Mayan people. Before the vampires and demons moved into their temples, they only averaged out to live to their sixties, but her grandfather saw their potential. With our protection, they lived on.

Without the help from her kind, the Mayans would’ve died off much faster. Her family wasn’t the only family of vampire blood, each family had their own village, and each village worshipped the vampires as gods. Gods that lived with them. Gods that protected and loved them.

But her people were gone and nothing she could do would bring them back. Even her life was just a painful reminder of their destruction.

Getting out of bed, Ella walked up to the window and opened the curtains wide. Making her decision, Ella drove her fist into the glass, grabbing a loose piece and ripped it out. Her thick silver blood dripped down her arm as she looked at the window and stopped. The rushing sound of water drew her attention to the waterfall and she froze to see its beauty.

Ella could see where several natural springs flowed into a small pond that overflowed down passed the wall. Closing her eyes, Ella smiled at its beauty. Closing her hands together, she put them to her chest and sighing, she had forgotten about the glass as she did so and accidentally sliced a cut across her chest.