Chapter 3

"Ten years?! He got only ten years?!" Regina exclaimed indignantly as she stood in the living room of Davids and Mary Margarets apartment, breaking the silence. "I can't be the only one thinking this is insane right?!"

The car drive home was even quieter than driving to the court. As the judge let them now about his decision all the adults were shocked. And after the short relief that washed over Emma, she realized that on her 27th birthday, the man would already be running around freely again.

No one dared to say a word. Emma closed up on anyone and as they reached the apartment, Emma immediately ran up to her room.

"Regina, calm down", Mary Margret said, handing the woman a cup of coffee.

"Of course it is insane but there is nothing we can do about it", David replied. "The jail term for rape is one to ten years. The situation would be totally different if she had a baby or something like that. But she didn't mention anything about this to any of you, did she?"

Mary Margaret just shook her head, taking a sip from her own coffee.

"No. But still, all her childhood was taken away. He kept her imprisoned for almost ten fucking years!" Regina was about to explode. The two foster parents had never heard her cursing before so all their alarm bells rang.

"Regina, sit down. You need to calm down a little", Mary Margret offered her a chair.

Regina sat down and buried her head in her hands. "I just don't get it. She is such a pure child..."

"Well... The judge said, Greg didn't hold her imprisoned illegally. He had proper adoption papers and-" David tried to explain awkwardly. But as Mary Margaret glared at him angrily, he stopped talking.

"Listen, Regina. All we can do now, is hoping that he will change in prison. Getting upset and screaming around won't do anyone anything good" The foster mother tried to sooth the psychologist.

"You are right. I'm gonna go to Emma. Look how she's doing"

Regina stood up and poured a cup of cocoa before going up the stairs.

She softly knocked on the door before going in.

"Hey Emma" she softly greeted the girl lying in her bed.

The blonde just smiled weakly towards her.

"May I sit down?" the brunette then asked and Emma moved aside to make room for Regina.

"I brought you some cocoa", she than said after placing herself next to the girl.

With a soft "Thanks" she took the cup and glanced up to Regina.

"Are you okay?", Regina then asked, smiling encouragingly down to her.

Emma shrugged. "I'm gonna be 27 when he get's out. I don't know how to feel about this.."

She stared into her cocoa, feeling a little nauseous.

Regina knew what Emma meant. She thought about it too.

"You know, I went there with the feeling that I had to go back to him. That he would somehow get the police to belief him. So shouldn't I be happy that I can be here right now instead of worrying what could happen ten years from now?" Emma's skin got paler with every word she said.

Regina anxiously looked down to her.

"Emma? Wh-" But she didn't get any further. Emma jumped up, the cocoa spilling all over the bed sheets. She sprinted out of the room and into the bathroom. Regina could hear her throwing up as soon as she entered the room.

"Shit", she whispered before running to the bathroom herself.

Immediately she kneeled down besides the girl and tried to get all her hair out of her face.

As Emma finally stopped, she leaned back against the nearest wall. Tears running down her cheek.

"I'm sorry", she whispered, feeling more humiliated than sad.

"It's okay, sweetie", Regina answered, sitting down next to her. She placed a hand over Emmas shoulder and softly caressed it.

"Don't. I'm all sweaty and gross", Emma said, pulling away.

"I don't care", Regina whispered, pulling her even closer. "You feeling better now?"

Emma just shrugged. Another tear running down her cheek. She softly placed her head on her psychologists shoulder and closed her eyes.

Regina kissed the girls hair, trying to sooth her.

For a while, they just sat there.

"It's just so humiliating!", Emma then suddenly exclaimed.

"What do you mean?"

"This whole day. First everyone hears what he did to me. Hears how weak I was for not defending myself. Everyone stared at me. And... And you all heard it. I feel like I should never look at you again. And to top it all off, you just saw my stomach contents. I just want today to be over"

Regina nodded softly. "I felt the same way after my mothers court. It was terrible. All my mothers friends was there, looking at me. It felt like they were all judging me. And my mother always glanced at me. Telling me with her eyes that there would be consequences. And as the court ended, I went home with my neighbors. It was the first time I had been at their place but I hadn't had anywhere else to go" Regina paused as the feelings hit her again. But she managed to push them aside. "Belief it or not, but I also threw up the second I set foot in the house"

Emma raised her head and looked directly at Regina now. "You did?"

"Yes", Regina answered. "I was really embarrassed but I now know that I had no reason to be. And you also don't" Regina made sure that Emma was looking into her eyes before she continued. "There is nothing that can make me not want you. You can throw up as many times as you need to. I will still be there at the end" she smiled as Emma chuckled softly.

"You are a part of our family now, Emma"