Chapter 11- EAMON

Eamon

 Every part of my body hurts. Tobin and I worked all day yesterday and well into the night to keep Jerry from getting behind. I’ve been lucky that Jerry hasn’t been around to hassle me about my buy in.  I may have been able to avoid him for a few days, but I think my luck has just run out. The familiar rattle of his truck just stopped, and I’m still here.

“Morning boys.” Jerry’s brow goes up as he steps in the shop.

Tobin’s already out of his suit, but I have a few more things to clean up first. I don’t make eye contact, but Jerry stops next to where I’m sitting anyway.

“No. I haven’t made any decisions yet. Is that okay?” I still don’t look up at him because I know turning him down would be a really stupid move.

“‘Course.” He backs up a step before turning and heading to the office. In the tone of that one word and the fact that he didn’t stick around to talk, I know he’s disappointed.

Hell. I’m disappointed in myself for not jumping into this opportunity. Again I feel almost pathetic for not wanting to move forward or change my life. But dammit, I don’t want to change my life.

“What was that about?” Tobin leans against his locker as I pull off my suit and stuff it into mine.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to talk to Tobin about this. The boy was ready to get married not long ago. This is part of me that he doesn’t get. “What?”

“Don’t pull that shit with me.” He slugs my shoulder.

“You have no room to talk.” I turn to face him. “Ma was freaking out and trying not to show it, you told no one where you went.”

“Holy shit.” Tobin smirks. “You’re trying to push this off on me, so it must be something big.”

I scoff, grab my jacket and head for the door.

“Let me see…” Tobin rubs his temples. “Jerry has a long lost daughter he wants you to marry.”

I roll my eyes before jumping in my new Jeep. Damn, this thing is perfect. Worn seats, metal floor, big engine.

Tobin’s cackling with laughter at his latest idea, and I want to punch him again, but at least he’s happy.

“Wrong answer.”

“He needs a date to the ball.” Tobin laughs again.

I let him chuckle for a moment before I interrupt. “He offered to let me buy in and be half-owner with him.”

Tobin’s face turns serious. “Well, damn. I’d do that in a heartbeat.”

“And this is why I didn’t want to tell you.” I hit the gas a little harder, spinning the Jeep sideways. Definitely glad I waited to replace my old truck until I found this thing.

We’re about to pass the road to Delia’s and Tobin always gives a glance up the street. And the few times he doesn’t, I can tell he’s working at not giving in.

“I think you should seriously consider, E,” Tobin says. “Might be sort of cool to own half that place. Jerry does damn well.”

“I know.” Tobin can’t tell me anything I don’t know. And I can’t help but feel a little guilty that Jerry offered this deal to a screw up like me, when someone like my own brother would love to have a chance like this.

“I’d think that buying into Jerry’s would actually give you more freedom. You’ll be working there anyway. It’s one easy way to settle without actually settling.” He smirks.