Chapter 26- RACHEL

Rachel

 "What?" I ask, staring at his outstretched palm. But I stand anyway, brushing off my cotton shorts.

"Do you want to dance?" Eamon asks.

I cock my head to the side, confused. "You been drinking, LeJeune? There isn't any music."

"Never stopped you before." Eamon smiles that familiar cheeseball smile back at me. "Besides, I think I know a song you may like."

I reach out and clutch onto his hand and he tugs me into him as close as he can. I've missed the feeling of him holding me, even if he isn't mine to miss. Eamon dips his head down so that his mouth is next to my ear and starts to hum.

It's the song from the bar the night that we kissed. The song playing on the jukebox. He hums the song softly as we move together, barefoot on the dock.

The last few weeks replay in my mind with every step we take together. Every stolen kiss. Every argument. Every furtive glance from across the room.

"This--" I choke out, not sure I should finish my thought.

"What? Do you want me to stop?" Eamon asks.

I shake my head and use the back of my hand to wipe away the tears that I don't want him to see.

"You know how when something is so incredibly good, people always say it's too good to be true? Or when it's bad, they say that it can't possibly be real?"

Eamon nods slowly.

"This is real, right? Right now?" My fingers trace patterns on his shoulders as I nervously wait for his answer.

Eamon puts the back of his hand against my chest, immediately calming me, and covering my heart as we sway to the music that isn't there. He nods.

"I think those extremes, those intense highs and lows--those are when things are the most real," he says. And I really believe that he understands. He may not be talking about relationships, but he understands in his own way. I think he finally made me see why he does the reckless things he does.

I let out a nervous laugh. "I didn't think you had it in you, LeJeune."

"Had what?" he asks, grinning just as wide.

"Romance. I didn't think you had a romantic bone in that gorgeous body. But wow...this...this is a side of you I could get used to." I immediately tense up, wondering if I've gone too far, said too much and am going to kill this beautiful moment that's bubbling between us.

"Are you kidding me? How could you doubt me?" Eamon says, holding his own heart and gasping like he's shocked.

"I know, right? It's just been so obvious this entire time," I joke. I reach for him, wanting to feel him near me again but he shrugs me away.

"Nah, I don't think I should let you touch me after you basically just insulted me and my romantic prowess."

"Fine, but I guess that means you don't get to touch me either." I untie the string around my neck that holds my top on and let it fall to the ground, then shimmy out of my shorts. This I know we do well together, and after him surprising me in a million different ways, I hope I'm repaying the favor.

I watch Eamon's eyes follow the heap of fabric to the ground and he pulls in a quick breath through his teeth. I turn away from him, step off the dock and plunge into the lake water. I'm able to count to five in my head before I feel his hands on my stomach, pulling me to him. Our slick bodies tangle together, my legs around his waist and his mouth on mine.

"Don't stop," I say against his lips.

And thank god, he doesn't.