Chapter 3

Allison

It was only two minutes until lunch, and I was impatiently ticking my heel against the table leg. Why was school so boring? I immediately could think of a hundred other, better ways to spend my time. Megan was sitting next to me, even more bored than I was, and staring at her perfectly manicured fingernails. I looked up at the ceiling and closed my eyes. I still hadn't told her about the birthday party. She wasn't going to be happy. No definitely not, in fact she was going to be furious. I already tried to think of a way to skip the dinner, but after several hours of searching for a solution I decided I was just going to have to tell her I wouldn't be able to go to her party. I was going to wait till after school, or maybe till tomorrow, no hurry. Maybe my dad's client canceled the dinner, or maybe my dad would come to his senses and would tell me I didn't have to be home for the dinner.

The bell finally rang.

Everyone got up from their chairs and the hallway was suddenly  filled with noise.

I looked at Megan, who was already at the door.

She left the classroom and I followed her into the hallway. She was waiting at my locker, smiling.

I smiled back and walked up to her.

"Why so happy?" I asked, opening my locker.

"Next week, I'll be 16 and the party is going to be awesome! No seriously, in five years, people are still going to be talking about it."

Megan had the tendency to get overexcited about everything that could make her more popular. Like dating the cutest boys, or going to the best parties.

I suddenly felt very guilty about not going to her party.

I could better tell her now, before she got even more exited.

"Megan, about the party, I…"

"Look who's coming your way," Megan said, with a big smile on her face.

She hadn't heard a word of what I was saying.

"Who?" I asked, curious because of her sudden smile.

"Only Austin Richards, the hottest boy in school. You lucky girl."

She winked at me and walked away.

I pretended closing my locker was the most interesting thing in the world while Austin leaned against the lockers next to mine.

"Hi," he said. I could hear a smile in his voice. He had this low, warm voice, that fitted perfectly with his looks. It was probably the sexiest sound I had ever heard, I thought.

I waited a few seconds, trying not to seem to interested, and then looked at him with my prettiest smile.

"Hi," I said.

"So, Zach is throwing a party tonight, maybe we could go together?"

Oh god his eyes, it took me a while before I realized what he said and my heart immediately started beating twice as fast.  It didn't sound like a question, more like it was something that was certainly going to happen and he just needed to tell me first. And he knew I wouldn't say no, nobody said no to Austin Richards, not even me.

"Tonight?" I asked, still as uninterested as I could.

He nodded and smiled again so I could she his perfect, white teeth.

"It'll be fun."

"Okay, " I finally said.

"Cool, I'll pick you up at eight?"

"Sure."

He winked at me and walked away.

I sighted and looked at his back while he disappeared in the crowded hallway.

Now my life was officially perfect.

Except for Megan's birthday party of course.