.:A Life Lesson:.

Note: This isn't really a one shot or anything about a couple. I️ just thought this would be a sweet story about the father and son relationship with Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

"Hustle up, Rookie," Doc demanded as he drove into his old shack. A familiar red, hotshot, race car with a long lightning bolt stretched across his side was watching a film of one Doc's previous racers back then.

He looked away from the film. "What will we be learning today, Doc?" His eyes sparkled as he smiled at Doc waiting for an answer.

"Come on down to Willy's Butte," He replied. "We'll take it from there, Rookie." Lightning nodded his good and followed the old car out of the shack.

They passed the beautiful town of Radiator Springs. Flo's V8 Cafe, Tow Mater's Junkyard, and Sally's Cozy Cone Motel. Eventually, they made it to the dirt race track. The memories of Doc drifting drowned his mind. He really was an awesome race car.

"Alright, rookie," Doc turned and faced the young race car. "Drive."

McQueen felt concerned. "What?"

"Drive. Show me a lap around the track."

"Without a little lesson or something?"

"Nope," Doc replied with pride. "Drive." McQueen shrugged his axels. He drove to the starting line. He licked his lips and started his engine producing a loud growl. He then raced forward, dirt kicking up behind him. He drove up side of the walls of Willy's Butte. He sped faster near the dirt turn. With a cocky turn, he drifted and gracefully nailed the turn. He then drove back to Doc smiling.

"How was that?" He asked.

"Huh, that ain't racing," Doc chuckled. "That wasn't even a Sunday drive. That was one lap racing as 500 of those. Everybody fighting to move up lap after lap, inside outside, inches apart. Never touching. Now that's racing!"

McQueen chuckled as well. "Well, I can't argue with the Doc Hudson!"

Doc laughed once again. "How true, how true." He swerved around McQueen. "One thing you gotta remember about racing, rookie, is that it's not about winning, it's about feeling the adrenaline in your body. Pushing yourself faster than you thought you could ever go. Putting yourself to the limits. That's racing."

McQueen shuffled on his axles. "Yeah, I know that."

Doc motioned McQueen to follow him. "Come here. We need to talk about something." Like he ordered, McQueen drove up to him. Doc looked out in the horizon and let out a small sigh. "Rookie, you do realize I'm not gonna be around forever, right?"

McQueen looked to the side. "Yeah, I know. But I don't wanna talk about that now."

"We have to." Doc made his voice stern. "Lightning when I pass, I don't want you to forget any of the lessons you learned. Not just from me, but from this town."

"How could I?" McQueen smiled. "These are good folk around here who care about one another."

Doc smiled as well. "And I want them depending on someone they can count on."

McQueen nodded. He stared off as well and thought for a second. "Doc, when you're— gone, do you think someone should take your number? Keep your legacy going?"

Doc pondered that question. "It would be nice."

"I could take your number."

"Oh no, Lightning. Not you."

McQueen frowned. "Why not?"

"You've already got your own. You don't wanna lose yours early."

A puzzled look formed on the young racers face. "Lose mine early?"

"Rookie, they'll be a time when you'll begin to lose your spot on the race track, like mine. I'm not saying you'll end in a crash, but eventually the rookies will take over and you'll have to settle down."

McQueen never liked talking about this. Racing, the one thing he loved (the town as well) being gone from his life.

"But," Doc continued. "Something good may come out of it. You may not be able to race again, but you'll be able to pass on your lessons to other rookies, like how I did with you."

Lightning smiled imagining being a trainer like the Hudson Hornet. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

"Rookie, when you find someone that deserves to hold it, I want you to give them my number. You already have yours and you bring pride to it."

McQueen nodded. "I will. I promise."

Doc chucked. "Ok, we're done for today."

"What?" McQueen watched him drive away.

"That was today's lesson."

"What? Giving a number away?"

Doc laughed. "No, how you're gonna handle your future when I'm gone."

"Oh" McQueen looked off to the side. "I think I'll be fine."

"You'll be ok." Doc continued to drive away.

McQueen thought for a moment. "Wait, thanks, Doc."

Doc smiled. "Anytime, rookie."