:Purity:

Ever since Sadness cheered up her best friend Joy that one day, Sadness hasn't been the same. She regretted cheering her up, because it made Sadness feel a new emotion. One that stands out and is often feared or sometimes taken for gratitude.

Love.

A person like Sadness had never felt something like this before nor exactly know how to react it. Especially with it being the same gender as her. She remembered Riley's mom talking to Riley about what it's like to grow up and develop feelings. She even mentioned gay and lesbian people, but never had Sadness thought that would occur to her in a big situation.

It scared her. She especially didn't know how the other emotions would react— especially Joy. Her only friend. The main reason it scared her was because she didn't want love to hurt her.

She had heard many stories how love could be a wonderful thing— and could also be a depressing accident. She knew love could hurt people and that always made her decide that its best to be alone so no one could hurt her.

But that didn't stop her heart throbbing for the warm touch and laughter of Joy. Not one bit.

It was a busy day in headquarters. Nothing chaotic was happening, but it was quite a day for the emotions. It was quite a day for Riley as well. She had a test in one of her periods, had to start a new project, and had a big hockey game after school. A few times Joy took control, then Anger, then Fear, then Joy, then Sadness, then Joy again.

Sadness loved when Joy took control. There would often be tons of laughs and happy memories. It made Sadness smile. She loved Joy's laugh and eccentric attitude.

When the day came to an end where Riley drifted off to sleep, the emotions called their quits.

"Welp, I'm gonna hit the hay," Disgust exclaimed. "Who's gonna be on dream duty?"

"I will!" Fear said a little nervous.

"Yeah— no," Disgust made a face. "The last time you were on duty, you woke her up only because a spider walked across the screen."

Fear rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, that was an accident."

Joy stood up. "I guess I'll be on dream duty."

"Ok, good." Disgust sashayed her hair back. "Alright, I'm gonna call it. Goodnight everyone." All the emotions made their way to their dorms, except for Joy and Sadness.

Joy noticed Sadness and turned around. "Aren't you gonna go to sleep?"

Sadness snapped out of her trance. "Well um, actually I was gonna stay up for a bit and— recollect some thoughts and make sure stuff is in order."

Joy flashed a concern look. "Mm, ok!" She turned back to the console and pulled up a chair. Sadness slowly backed her way out of the room, picked up the imaginary sack that Bing Bong gave them, and made her way to this tiny garden that laid in the back of the headquarters.

The reason there was a garden there was because Joy suggested once to Sadness that a good way to keep depression from eating you was doing something calm like gardening. Sadness had grown a few roses, daisies, and tulips. She didn't grow them to make herself happy, she grew them for Joy. Even though she knew Joy sometimes would forget that Sadness is supposed to be sad, she grew them to make Joy happy. Now, she was hoping those flowers would finally pay off.

Today, at this moment she would finally tell Joy the secret she had been hiding. She can no longer keep it anymore.

Sadness very carefully plucked a few daisies from the soil and placed them in the sack. She put the sack around her shoulder and strolled back over to Joy. She was busy watching Riley's dream of Fairy Dream Adventure Part Eight. To Sadness, it looked pretty boring, and Joy seemed a bit tired as well.

Sadness cleared her throat. "J-Joy?"

Joy shot up, almost half asleep. "Oh, you're back already? That was fast."

Sadness laughed nervously. "Hehe, yeah." She rolled the sack off her shoulder. "I uh- I have something for you."

Joy sat up from the chair and walked closer. "Really? For me?"

Sadness opened up the sack and grabbed hold of the flowers. "I um- grew these for you." She pulled out the tulips and didn't realize that they kinda got squished in the sack. Sadness cringed. "Oh geez, um- I didn't realize they were..."

Joy smiled.

"I swear they weren't squished when I picked them. I guess they- I'll just stop talking."

Joy put her arm around her. "Sadness, that's sweet. No ones ever done something like that for me before." She took the flowers and hugged them.

Sadness' blue face turned a shade of pink feeling Joy's arm around her torso. She began to sweat a little.

"Are you ok?" Joy asked her. "You look a little— hot."

"You're not too bad yourself, Joy." Sadness said with a dorky smile.

Joy's eye went big in surprise and Sadness started to freak out realizing what she just said.

She quickly backed away. "I-I didn't mean that in the weird way! I just meant you looked hot as well. I don't think you look hot at all. I mean- you are very pretty and I'm not saying you're ugly— and-" She trailed off her sentence and decided to just cover her face with her sweater.

Joy gave a loving smile and started to giggle. "Oh Sadness," Sadness looked up from her sweater. "You're so pure!"

Sadness smiled. That little comment even made her heart race. Joy really was the only emotion she truly cared about.

Sadness twiddled her fingers. "But, I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to-"

Joy then pulled Sadness into a hug. "I understand."

Sadness was shocked. She then replied with, "You-you really don't mind?"

Joy smirked and gave Sadness a quick kiss making Sadness almost paralyzed. She looked at Joy and smiled. "I guess that answered m-my question." They both laughed.

Joy then removed her arms from Sadness and smiled. "Well, I better get back to dream duty before something weird happens." She pointed at Sadness. "And you need to get some sleep, cutie!"

Sadness blushed with a small smile. "Yeah, I guess I do." She moved a strand of her hair behind her. She then proceeded to walk to her dorm. Wait! She quickly thought to herself. "Hey, Joy?"

Joy smiled indicating a "Yes?"

"We don't have to tell the other emotions about this, right?"

Joy thought for a moment. Anger would probably make a big deal out of it like he always does, Disgust would probably be— well disgusted, and Fear would probably over react over the consequences of a homosexual couple. She shook her head. "I'm the lead emotion. I don't have to tell them anything." She then blew a kiss. "Except you, of course!"

Sadness at this point couldn't stop smiling. Before Joy would yell at her again, she quickly said. "Goodnight Joy. I love you!"

Joy's smile grew. "Goodnight, my pure Sadness."