Five: Trust Issues

"That was the most humiliating moment of my life!" Fridge declared as the group dragged themselves, now dripping wet, from the small lake

"That was the most humiliating moment of my life!" Fridge declared as the group dragged themselves, now dripping wet, from the small lake. The only good thing to come out of this seemed to be that they had lost the bikers, as Vera had said.

Bethany collapsed onto the bank, while Spencer was panicking about having swallowed some water.

"G-guys," Martha managed to choke out. "T-they got me..."

The other three froze when they saw the bloody bullet wound in her chest. And just like that, she disappeared.

"Wait-"

"Oh no, Martha!"

"Did she die? Is she dead!?"

In answer to this, a chiming noise sounded from above, like had happened after Bethany had been eaten by the hippo, and Martha fell from the sky - landing on Fridge.

"Ow! Get off me!"

"Sorry!"

"Martha! You're alive! Are you okay?!" cried Bethany.

"Uh, yeah, I-I think so..." The redhead was obviously pretty shaken, and understandably.

Spencer reached out and gently took her wrist. "That's what I thought," he sighed.

"What?"

"Those tattoos, they're our life count. Bethany got eaten by the hippo, so she only has two lives, and now Martha got shot, so she's down to two as well."

The girls looked at their wrists to find only two black lines now instead of three.

"W-well what happens if we lose all three?" Martha asked shakily, as though she dreaded the answer.

"Well usually that would mean game over..."

"Game over?"

"Wait, like over over? Are you saying we can actually die here?!" cried Fridge.

"I don't know..."

"You don't know?! I thought you were Mr. Video Game Genius!"

"Well I've never been stuck in one okay! But yes, I think that's possible."

There was a quiet moment between them as the group absorbed this.

"W-well, we'd better find the missing piece then," Martha said determinedly.

"Hey wait, where's Vera?" Bethany asked. It was then that the others noticed too - they were back down to four.

"You don't think they - killed her, do you?"

"She said they wouldn't hurt her..."

They jumped a little when they heard the sound of another motor bike.

"Oh no, not this again..."

They prepared themselves for another chase, but quickly realized that they were quite safe. A bike pulled up to the edge of the lake, driven by Vera herself.