Part 16: Sound Of Heart Breaking

Almost a year passed since Corinne and I were captured, now everything is perfect. As if we never were trapped. My wound healed, but sometimes it still hurts a bit. We didn't hear a thing about Jayden and maybe that was for the best, we continued with our lives. The others found out about Corinne and me, thanks to Tuffnut. He can't keep his mouth shut, can he? But it ended well, they were happy, well everybody except Snotlout. He was furious, but we can't do anything about it. He still didn't accept the thing that Corinne and I are together.
None of us mentioned anything about our days as prisoners. As if it's a book about our lives and we decided to burn those pages. It doesn't bother me. I noticed Corinne leaving Dragon's Edge sometimes, but I guess she has to have some time alone as everybody.

The same was happening for months. I asked Willow because I thought she knows something about Corinne's leaving. She doesn't. I don't want to follow her, I trust her. We are happy and I don't want to ruin that. We were together almost a year. Now everybody on Dragon's Edge knows about my other side, and they accepted me the way I am. They accidentally found out, but it's easier now that they know. I don't have to hide anything anymore and it feels great. They didn't react so bad as I thought. Actually they reacted great, they didn't try to kill me or put me in a cage. I can't describe how happy I am because of that.

Let's go back to the point I talked with Willow about Corinne. She's always there when I need help and that's almost always. I want to surprise Corinne and I needed an advice from an expert. She helped a lot. Corinne wasn't on Dragon's Edge, if she was she'd probably found out about a surprise. She really means much to me. I can't imagine my life without her. I prepared everything and waited for her to come back. "Are you nervous?" Willow stood behind me. "Uh no..." my voice was shaking. "Na-ah, not at all" I could hear her chuckling.

"It's normal to be" I tried to calm myself down a bit "I should say that!" I turned around and she crossed her arms. "But you didn't" as I smiled she made an angry face "It's not cool when you say it to yourself", "Oh really?" she nodded with a smile on her lips "Yes" then I heard a sound of wings "She's coming, I gotta go.. Good luck!" she ran away before I could say anything. Corinne's dragon landed and I went to her. "Hey", "hey" she jumped down and kissed me "Something happened?", "Of course not" she smiled "Really? You seems too happy, any special reason?" I couldn't hide my smile "You'll find out soon, it's a surprise" She raised an eyebrow "Alright Thorston tell me what is it?" I shook my head "If I tell you now it won't be a surprise, will it?"

She sighed "No, then..when is that soon?", "Come" I took her hand and started walking. After some time she spoke "Where are we going?", "You need to be somewhere?" no response "Corinne?", "Hm? No, no I don't.." that sounded weird "Alright" we came on the other side of Dragon's Edge. "We came?", "Not yet" I know she never was here and that she'll be surprised. I stood behind her and put hands on her eyes, she smiled "What are you doing?" "You'll find out soon" she laughed "Hayden!" "Just wait" I started leading her the other way. Few minutes later. "Okay you can look now" I took away my hands from her eyes. I could hear her grasping. "This is..."

The sun is low and orange, the sky full of warm light which reflected into the sea. Near the end of a cliff was a small table with food and candles. I nodded a bit. "I wanted to surprise you", "You definitely did!!" she turned and hugged me "It's amazing!" I hugged her back "I'm glad". Some hours later "Thank you, for today", "No need to thank me" she smiled. Every time she smiled I felt like I was falling for her even more. "Actually, I wanted to ask you something..." she looked at me "Ask" I took a deep breath. "Alright.. We're together almost a year and I never doubted about-" her face turned serious. "What are you trying to say?", "I'm trying to ask you..." I took a small box from my pocket and sighed. Her eyes widened.

I stood up and walked to her side of the table. The same moment I knelt down and took golden ring from the box she spoke "Hayden wait" I looked at her. "Why?", "I.. This is too sudden...", "If you want we can wait" she shook her head, looking somehow sad "No, that's not it..." She stood up and I did the same. I'm confused. Why would she refuse if she loves me? "Then what is it?" She looked down for a moment, her face looking as if she's fighting with tears, then she looked up at me with a straight face "I-I can't marry you" It hit me like a bomb. "What?" Her face didn't change, I could see my reflection in her eyes until she looked down again "You heard me..." my brain stopped working. "And the reason is?" She stayed silent "Corinne why? You wouldn't say that if you love me", "I-I don't love you..." this can't be true, she wouldn't say that. I could barely talk, but my tone was firm "Look in my eyes and say that to my face" she took a moment then lifted her head and looked in my eyes. Her face dead serious "I don't love you" those words killed me. I could hear my heart breaking. "Who is the reason?" her eyes widened in shock proving I was right. She can't be with me because she loves someone else.

Her eyes were looking in mine. "Who is he?" She just stood there looking at me, not saying anything for a long time. I waited, she'll tell me, I know her. She won't left without an answer. I asked one last time "Corinne, who is he?" she finally spoke "It's Jayden"