Forbidden

"Do people always fall in love with things they can't have?'

'Always,' Carol said, smiling, too."

~ Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt

Rey

Everything was blurry.

Beneath me I could feel cold hard metal, I could feel it around my ankles and wrists too. Was I on an interrogation table? Almost instantly my mind went back to when I was strapped to a similar table, on a First Order ship being interrogated by...Kylo.

Then everything started to fast forward, almost like a film, in my head. The sun setting over Akiva's verdant jungle, smoke rising from an animal as it turned on the spit, a burst of fiery lightning through a storm, and then, Kylo's arm's wrapped around me while I sobbed into his chest, long nights spent talking and laughing while we stargazed, his brilliant eyes in the moonlight and...Snoke's empty black ones, the last thing I'd seen before I'd fallen into a force-induced sleep.

I needed to get out of here.

I began to toss and turn frantically, I even tried force bending the cuffs open, but it was no use. My eyes searched the room around me desperately, which was practically empty except for circuitry and a long narrow window. Through it I could see the stars as we drifted past them in space. Then I heard the doors open and turning I saw on the steps, the silhouette of Snoke himself.

"Ah I see you're awake." his voice dominated the empty room as he stood on the steps, his gaze fixed on me. Resistance intel had described Snoke's countenance as displeasing,  but I could tell now that that was an understatement. As the lights slowly flickered on I saw his face. It was, hollow, as if something had been slowly eating at it from the inside and through his beady eyes I felt as if I could see into his soul. It was dark and depraved.

He started to make his way slowly towards me and my breathing quickened with every step he took.  When he was about a foot away from the table he stopped. At this point I had no idea what to do so I closed my eyes tried reading his thoughts. But it was like looking into a mirror, and all I saw was a reflection of myself, hopelessly clamped to the interrogation table.

Snoke laughed  a deep menacing laugh. "Did Kylo Ren teach you that?" he asked.

I glared back at him. "No."

"I see. So what did he teach you?"

I said nothing, but kept staring blankly at his face. Snoke grew impatient and then suddenly his hand shot out from beneath his cloak. At first I thought he was going to choke me, but instead he began to read my mind. I could feel his prying eyes on me as he searched, seeing memories that I tried hard,but futilely to keep hidden from him.

"Ah." His face curled up into a sinister smile and he began to pace slowly around my table.

"So...Kylo has taught you well. You are undoubtedly strong with the force."

I remained silent and he continued.

"The two of you seem...connected. But it is more than a force bond. You have...feelings for each other." He paused to gauge my reaction, but I refused to make eye contact with him and after a moment he continued. "Yes, strong feelings. Could it be...love?"

My expression did not change and yet everything inside me quickened. It felt like my whole world had been turned upside down, and yet everything was now in the right place. Over the weeks I'd been wrestling with my feelings, trying to see if they were real or just a passing phase. But it seemed Snoke had cleared that all up for me.

Yes, Kylo was incredibly attractive. No, scratch that, he was beautiful. And yes sometimes when I was with him I felt as if nothing else and nobody else in the galaxy mattered. He made me feel fearless and powerful, and yet fragile at the same time. When I was with him I could do anything, when I was with him I didn't feel so alone. And being away from at this moment was...destroying me. Was this what love felt like?

"Do you know what will happen?"

I glanced at Snoke's ever gruesome face, partially hidden in the shadows. "What?"

"Do you know what will happen...if a Sith Lord and a Jedi join together?" I just looked at him and didn't say a word. "Light and dark cannot exist together, you will destroy each other."

"No!" I screamed. "You wouldn't know the first thing about love!"

"I know that yours is forbidden, and even if it were to succeed it would only end in tears and misery and loss. But none of that matters now, you will not be seeing him ever again."

Anger and frustration erupted inside me and, fixing my eyes on Snoke, I locked him in a steely force choke. Then I began to tighten my grip as I lifted him slowly off the floor with my eyes, concentrating all the energy I could on him. I didn't even realise what I was doing until Snoke stretched his hand out and my entire body froze as electricity coursed through it. It was unimaginably painful and what's worse was that I couldn't move, all I could do was clench my teeth and hope that it would stop. Finally it did.

Before I passed out I saw Snoke making his way up the steps, back towards the entrance to my chamber. He paused in the doorway and looked back over his shoulder.

"Rest." he said, "We have much to discuss."

And then he was gone.