Chapter 10: The Midnight Excursion

Charlotte heard screams in the darkness that surrounded her. They were coming from all around her. She had her sword in her hand but couldn't tell where she needed to fight. There was too much noise, too much darkness. "Percy! Annabeth!" She called out. The screams didn't die, her voice had faded into the noise. "Percy! Annabeth! Answer me please!" She was getting scared, could this even have been the screams she was hearing?

   She felt hands on her arms and looked around to see Harry, Jack, Ash, and Tom were holding her. Their eyes were completely white and glazed over. "Why couldn't you save us? Save them?" Harry has spoken, though his voice was distorted. 

   "Why couldn't you stop the monsters?" Jack asked, his voice distorted.

   "You could've freed us from this pain." Tom said, distorted.

   "You should've died in our place. You didn't fight hard enough." Ash.

   "You weren't strong enough." 

   "Brave enough." 

   "Fast enough."

   "You failed to save you're friends." All four of them said. "You failed to protect your family from the monsters. Now we all are dead." They began dragging Charlotte's into darkness. Charlotte's began trying harder to break free

   "I haven't done anything!" She screamed, her voices echoing in the darkness. "I haven't failed anyone!"

   "You failed us." They said, pulling her farther into darkness. 

   "No I haven't!" Farther and farther into darkness she was dragged. Deeper and deeper into whatever misery they were bringing on her. "Let me go!" Tears were streaming down her face. They couldn't be dead, they couldn't be. She tried to hit any of them with the side of her sword without any luck. She screamed, her voice fading into the darkness.

   Charlotte woke as she landed on the ground. She scrambled to her feet and pulled her sword from it's resting place beside her bed. She looked around the room. They were still asleep. Had she not screamed in her sleep. Maybe it was just a dream. She hoped. 

   Charlotte threw her robes around her pajamas before she picked up her sword again and left. She walked out of the portrait hole and through the corridors, careful to avoid any teachers that may be nearby. She needed to get outside. She needed to just breathe, get some air. Think. 

   She reached the entrance hall, no teachers had found her. A few narrow escapes, but she hadn't been caught. She took one glance around before she bolted to the door, running into someone. She fell to the ground and noticed that no one was there. That was impossible, unless. "I know you're there," she whispered, "under some sort of invisibility enchantment. I suggest you make yourself known before I alert the teachers."

   The person became visible, to Charlotte's horror it was none other than Harry Potter. "You know, we should stop meeting in the dead of night. What are you doing out this late?" 

   "I could ask you the same thing Harry."

   "Agree to keep an air of mystery?"

   "Deal." Harry helped Charlotte up, noticing the sword ar her side. "Look, I've gotta go Harry."

   "Charlie, did something happen?" Harry sounded concerned. "You snapped at Percy and stormed off."

   "You're a real Sherlock Holmes aren't you?" She asked. Harry gave a small laugh. "You probably know about what happened with Draco being a ferret and all."