Chapter 6: The Engagement

Emma paced about the kitchen, hands wringing together as emerald orbs shifted to the front door every so often. She had just completed dinner mere moments before; the scent of spices and boiled potatoes still lingered in the air. Her stomach would have growled if it didn't feel like someone was currently squeezing it.

Swallowing, the blonde stopped herself and stood, her entire body trembling. Why was she so nervous? Or was she excited? Honestly, Emma couldn't tell. The butterflies in her stomach were like a tornado, making her feel sick.

She was just having dinner with Regina. An anniversary dinner.

"Just calm down..." she muttered under her breath, eyes falling to the door once again when a soft thud sounded within the hallway.

The door hadn't opened.

"Neighbors," she murmured, turning completely away from the door to let her eyes land on the dining table that she had set up earlier. It held two plates of steak, potatoes, and green beans and a clear, glass vase that held two blood red roses between them. It wasn't anything special, so she had modestly thought.

Emma's attention drew towards the door once again. This time it was Regina with a key in the lock. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, a hand slipping into her pocket to make sure the ring was still there. When her fingers came into contact with the warm metal, she felt herself relax.

"It smells divine, Emma," Regina's voice sounded from the doorway as she slipped inside, peeling her jacket off to hang up on the coatrack along with her purse. She was next to Emma within moments, her spicy perfume filling the blonde's senses.

Emma offered her a toothy grin as heat crept up her neck. "It's just steak."

The brunette chuckled softly, slipping her arms around her lover's waist to pull the younger woman towards her. The blonde complied with the action and fell against Regina, eyes closing as she inhaled deeply the scent of the older woman. She relaxed.

"We should eat before it gets cold," Emma murmured against the brunette's shoulder and pressed a kiss to the fabric of her blouse before pulling back, a crooked smile on her face.

Regina smirked and leaned forward, pressing a kiss to her cheek, whispering, "of course, that would be a shame."

The words sent a shiver down her spine. Anything that woman said could end Emma right on the spot. Gods, she was certain.

The moment Regina pulled away from her personal space, the two found their seats at the dining table and began to feast. It was the brunette who had spoken first as she popped a piece of steak into her a mouth, earning a delicious sound that already had Emma squirming in her seat.

"What do you think?" She queried, eyes falling to the piece of meat for a moment before lifting to encounter whisky hues.

The red lips turned upward in response, a low, melodic voice following, "delicious. You cooked it just how I like it, my love."

"Oh, good! I thought I undercooked it. I only cooked mine a bit longer and it's still really pink." Forest orbs fell to the steak on her own plate.

"It's a bit rarer than I prefer, but I don't mind. I haven't tried it like this before and, I must admit, it's better." She purred and cut off another strip to eat. "Thank you, my dove, I appreciate all of this. You really didn't have to..."

"But I wanted to do something special for you." Emma offered her a small and sweet grin before going back to her own meal. "It's our second anniversary, after all."

"You're cute," the older woman shook her head, the corners of her mouth twitching.

The blonde batted her eyes playfully, the smile on her face only growing. "I know."