2

Nico tried another piece of ambrosia to ease the pain. Nope. His stomach still wouldn't allow it. He looked down at the werewolf marks refusing to heal. Nico twisted in the bed to reach his water, then cried out in pain. The sheets had trapped him, and the hastily stitched up scratches had split open once again. He clamped a hand over his mouth and bit down. He didn't want any attention taken away from the more important campers. The metallic taste of blood entered his mouth as his teeth tore through the flesh of his palm. But someone had heard him. And that someone was an arrogant son of Apollo. Will jogged over. Nico glared and pulled the covers up to his chin, accidentally revealing the dark red stain slowly creeping across the sheet.

"Why didn't you let anyone check you straight after the battle you idiot?" Moaned Will.

Nico muttered something incomprehensible. Will shouted for another medic. The medic arrived and Will rattled off a list of supplies, including a sleeping draught. Nico suddenly sat up straight.

"No sleep syrup or whatever it is." He said.

"Um. Yes. This will hurt to Tartarus and back without any anaesthetic." Will muttered.

"No." Nico seemed to be having trouble breathing. "Don't say that. You haven't been there."

Will looked at Nico. His carefully walled eyes had fractured, just for a moment, but enough so that for once, the pain of what Nico had been through pulsed through his irises and into Will's. Will suddenly understood. Nico had gone through Tartarus alone. The experience must haunt him through every night. Will thought. Saying nothing, he carefully palmed a vial off the bedside table and subtly added it to the water as Nico turned away, clutching the sheets to his chest. Will tapped him on the shoulder and Nico rolled back over.

"What." He glared at Will.

Will held out the glass to him. Nico let out a short, humourless laugh.

"You think I'm falling for that. Pathetic."

Will rolled his eyes.

"I haven't drugged it. I promise."

"Would you swear on the River Styx?" Nico spat.

"Would you?"

Nico opened his mouth to reply, and Will chucked the water into it. Nico looked up at him, bitterness with a hint of fear plain across his face.

"You won't let me disappear, will you?" He said, defeated. And fell asleep.

Will pondered Nico's words and winced at every painful breath the sleeping boy took. His assistant medic returned with a bundle of bandages. Will took a roll of bandage and wrapped it around a cut on Nico's arm. His form seemed to flicker, then Nico whimpered. Working quickly, Will applied the rest of the dressings and watched as Nico went limp. Will lurched forward and placed his fingers on Nico's wrist. The pulse was barely there.