8

It was Nico's last day in the infirmary. And he didn't want to go.

Life was funny like that, pushing and pulling at your heartstrings, tearing up logic. As Nico sat, watching the rain come down outside, he wished it could rain forever. He wished this moment would last forever. That the sun lasted forever even though you couldn't see it. Nico didn't need the sun, Will was just as bright. Bright enough with enough colour for the both of them.
.............

Will was moody. He was always moody when it was raining. And when he'd had little sleep it was worse. Everyone knew to stay out of his way. But when he saw Nico his demeanour softened.

"Hey, Sunshine."

"So we've moved on from Death Boy?"

"Sure, Death Boy."

"Don't call me that." Nico muttered.

But it was half-hearted.

"Last day. You excited to be getting back to reality?"

Nico snorted.

"Yes."

No.
...............
Nico watched Will's blue eyes check him over. His blue eyes. His gods-be-damned blue eyes that were like the sky had been washed clean and cheekily hung out to dry. Blue eyes. Blue. Colour. He let out a strangled half gasp.

"What?" Will looked up at him.

He pointed to Will's eyes.

"Blue eyes." He marvelled.

Will rolled his eyes.

"Well, what colour did you think they..." He trailed off. "Colour."

Will grinned.

"I knew I wasn't completely worthless." He joked.

Nico didn't have the courage to tell him that they were the only splash of colour in the boring room. Or that they were like diamonds, rare, beautiful diamonds, who's worth was beyond anything that ever existed.
............
Just before lunch time that day Will announced that Nico could leave at dinner. Nico just nodded. Will held out his pinky finger.

"I solemnly swear that I will bring you fries with your meat." He laughed.

"What are you, five?" Nico grumbled, but still, he laced his finger with Will's. "I'll hold you to that."

"You can count on me."

Will started humming Count On Me by Bruno Mars. His eyes glinted as he looked at Nico.

"You can count on me, for youuurrr fries, I'll be thereeeee."

"Will, stop."

"Coz you know when you need it you can count on me,"

"People are looking."

"For youuurrrr fries, and I'll be there."

"No."

He sung a perfect rendition of the 4th verse and finally stopped. Nico sighed in relief.

"Was it really that bad?" Will pouted.

"Absolutely."

Liar.
...........

"Do you prefer beef or lamb?" Will asked.

"I don't really care, whatever you choose."

Will shrugged.

"Don't blame me if you don't like it!"

"Don't worry, I will." Nico muttered.

I won't.

It was only after Will left that Nico realised their fingers had been interlocked the whole time.
And neither of them had let go.
.........

Beef or lamb, beef or lamb. Will mused. Well, the lamb had a delicious mint sauce to go with it, so he chose that. He rubbed his pinky finger. He didn't let go. His mind raced, so he was startled when someone tapped him on the shoulder. It was Lou Ellen.

"Hey Will. Haven't seen you around lately. Where've you been?"

Will shrugged.

"In the infirmary. Healing the wounded. Apollo-y stuff."

Lou chuckled and gave a half smile.

"How's Nico?" She asked.

"Better." Will replied.

"I heard his three days are up, right? Maybe you could join training now."

Will was taken aback. He was going to have to go back to training. Nico would be gone and Will would be lucky if he saw him twice a day.

"I guess."

"Well I'll look forward to beating your sorry ass in swordplay, that's for sure." She grinned and walked off.

"Well I'm not." Will replied.

True.