Chapter Five

"Virgil, I don't know what I'm doing."

Nick sighed, holding his head in his hands as he tried not to panic. The anxious chuckled a little in amusement as he groaned. "It's not funny! I don't know how to ask him out!" he whined, making Virgil shake his head in amusement

"Well, how'd you ask Roman out?" he inquired, hoping to assist in some way.

Nick's eyes widened as he looked over at Roman, who was buying the three of them hot chocolate at the counter. "I didn't! He asked me! I never would've had the confidence to ask him out," he said, earning an understanding nod from the darkly dressed man sitting across from him. "How is he so sure of himself?"

His voice had been quiet, watching Roman in awe. The romantic feelings had long since faded, but he'd always be impressed by the prince-like confidence he displayed. Virgil watched him too, the same awe in his gaze as he shook his head slightly. He didn't know how someone could be so perfect. As Roman came back with the hot chocolates, he looked at the two of them with a confused smile.

"You guys alright?" he asked with a laugh. His fiancé blushed, nodding. He was always embarrassed whenever he was caught staring. Nick, in contrast, recovered quickly.

"I need help," he explained, pulling out his phone to show him a picture of a certain bartender he'd been texting and visiting at the bar lately. "I don't know how to ask him out! I'm going nuts!"

Roman took a sip of his hot chocolate as he looked at the picture, smiling. "He's a cutie," he commented, smirking in Nick's direction. He flushed, avoiding meeting his eyes. "Well, what is he like? Do you know anything about his hobbies or interests that you could use?"

"What do you mean?" he questioned.

"Well, if you know what his favorite book is, you could use a quote to tell him you like him!" Roman explained excitedly. "Or if he likes a certain T.V. show, same thing! Or you could come up with a pick-up line around his favorite sports team if he's more athletic, or around his favorite video game-"

"Or you could just say, 'Hey, I kinda into you, wanna go on a date?' and be done with it," Virgil cut in, seeing Nick's overwhelmed expression from all of the princely man's extravagant suggestions. "That's the straight forward way of doing it, and even though it's not easy, it works..."

He rubbed his forehead as he weighed his options. "Okay, okay, how 'bout I text him? I could ask him to meet me for a date," he said, anxiously opening his chat with the bartender named Colin. Taking a breath and listening to the encouraging words of his friends, he sent a text. About three minutes later, there was a response. "Oh my god, he wants to go to dinner tomorrow night!"

Nick was pacing his friends' apartment as he finished getting ready. His date would be here any moment, and he was losing his nerve. "Guys, I don't know what to say when he shows up! I don't know how to make small talk in person! What if-"

"None of that, take it from me, start asking 'what if' questions and you'll freak out," Virgil warned as he boyfriend rubbed his hand comfortingly. "Just try to breathe, you've got this. He was the one who gave you his number, remember?"

Nick nodded, calming down. Everything would be fine; they were just going for dinner. The doorbell rang, making him jump as he snapped out of his thoughts. "Alright guys, wish me luck," he said as he headed for the door.

"You don't need luck! You got this!" Roman encouraged, smiling happily for him. Nick gave him a grateful smile as he opened the door.

Colin took his breath away, looking absolutely gorgeous in his blazer covered shirt and skinny jeans. He looked amazing, making Nick's heart race as he looked into his eyes. "Uh, h-hi," he said, smiling awkwardly.

"Hey Nick," he replied, revealing a rose he'd been holding behind his back.

He didn't know how to respond as he took it with a flattered thank you. He waved goodbye to Roman and Virgil, and headed out with Colin. They arrived at the restaurant, discussing interests between them over dinner. Both of them were enjoying themselves immensely as they laughed at each other's stories.

"So, Nick, I have something I should probably tell you before we go any further with this," Colin started, looking nervous. Nick had never seen him nervous. "I understand if this turns you off from any possible relationship with me, but I feel it's only fair for you to know I'm trans."

Nick's eyes widened in surprise, but only with surprise. "I'm female-to-male transgender, and I use he/him and they/them pronouns," they explained, looking away uncomfortably. "I typically use they/them, but I like he/him as well. Again, I understand if this makes you uninterested."

"No, no, not at all!" Nick reassured him. They looked up in surprise, eyes glistening as they met his. "It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd love to try a relationship with you, Colin."

Colin's silver curly hair fell over one of their eyes, making him internally swoon as they smiled. "Then Nick Anderson, would you please be my boyfriend?" he asked, smiling hopefully.

"I'd love to, Colin Rogers," he replied, reaching out to take his hand. His new boyfriend looked down at their hands in shock and awe before smiling wide.

As Colin walked with Nick back up to the door of his friends' apartment, he couldn't ignore the butterflies. He turned to look at his new boyfriend. "Thank you for a lovely dinner," he said with a smile. "We should go on a double date with my friends sometime, Roman and Virgil."

"Wasn't that Roman guy your fiancé?" Colin questioned with a small smirk.

Nick nodded. "Yeah, but we're still friends, and he and Virgil are engaged now," he explained. "They'd love to go on a double date though, if you'd like that."

"I'd love it," Colin said, smiling.

There was a moment of silence between the two of them. They were standing so close, and it felt as though they were lost in each other's eyes. Colin made the first move, moving forward to kiss him on the lips. Nick responded instantly, smiling wide when they pulled away not long after.

"I'll see you soon," they murmured with a smile. "Text me tomorrow, okay?"

Nick nodded happily as they headed to their car. As they drove away, he entered Roman and Virgil's apartment. Both inhabitants were waiting for him, smirking. "W-What?" he stammered, embarrassed.

"Guess we've got to plan a double date for next weekend."

End.