chapter 21

trigger warning

(investigation of a sexual assault crime and discussion of the topic, I'm going to try to keep it as vague as possible and not go in to details, but it could be triggering to someone, so please, proceed with caution)

***

'' Don't turn the lights of, even at night. I might be hiding right in the darkness. Live with fear for the rest of your life, because sooner or later, I will come find you. ''

The memory of those words was echoing in my mind. I still clearly remembered the eyes of the woman that I met once. She was one of the visitors of my boss's casino and she told me a horrible story of what she had to suffer. The one who hurt her whispered those sentences in her ear before he was dragged away by the police and I was absolutely horrified. I asked her how she was able to live with it and withstand the nightmares, but she only shook her head.

'' You don't. Perhaps it becomes a little easier to think of with time, but the wound never closes. It isn't something that you can simply forget and the pain haunts you for the rest of your life. ''

Devoid of humanity, at the very bottom, an unimaginable evil.

That was how the woman described people who committed that kind of crimes.

'' In that moment you weren't yours anymore. Somebody took your body for themselves and they took a part of your soul too. That gaping hole in your heart remains and you try to find something to fill it with. ''

My head tilted to the side and I brought the image of Jeon Jiho's smile to my mind. He was acting a little strange sometimes and I could tell that he was hiding something. Could he be capable of doing such horrible things? Then again, it was hard to distinct bad people from good people. They were everywhere and their smiles always did so well at tricking you in to thinking that you could trust them.

Chanyeol was struggling to believe that the police chief Jiho could be a bad person too. I've never seen him as mad as he was that night. We all piled in Junmyeon's car after we barely escaped the explosion in the warehouse and went to his apartment. He started thinking about what happened and the more he dwelled on it, the angrier it was making him. Kyungsoo barely managed to calm him down when he started to throw things around.

The others were mad too. The warehouse was completely destroyed and we all knew that we would have died if Baekhyun wouldn't have come to warn us about the bomb that he found. Thanks to him everyone besides Junmyeon and I managed to get out safe and even us, who were the very last and barely managed to reach the door before the building exploded, ended up with only some light wounds. At least I thought they weren't as bad as they could be, while the prosecutor made sure to complain about them as much as he could.

He was lying on his stomach on Chanyeol's couch and Sunmi was lightly fanning his exposed back with a scowl on her face. The burn wounds on his skin were starting to get more and more red with each moment that passed and there was an icepack resting on his swollen ankle. I was smirking at the sound of his childish wounds, while sitting at the small table in the police detective's kitchen and trying to bandage my bleeding shoulder. Something sharp got stuck in o it and even if the wound wasn't too deep, it still hurt like hell. I wished that I would've asked Kyungsoo to bandage it for me before he went home, but now I was stuck trying to arrange myself on my own.

'' Who could have done something like that? Who would have set up a bomb in the warehouse? '' Chanyeol thoughtfully muttered and frowned. He was sitting on the ground in front of the couch that was being occupied by Junmyeon and thinking. '' Even if what we learned about the chief was true, there is no way that he could be able to do something like that. The prosecutor Son Woo Jin also would have no reason to resort to such measures. ''