Chapter Ten

Jayson’s P.O.V

It has been four months since my sister died. Four months full of nightmares. Four months full of pity from my teachers. Four months full of fights with Tommy’s mom. Four months since I lost my virginity to Tommy. Four agonizing months full of watching Tommy waste away into practically nothing.

Getting sicker and sicker. He stopped bothering with school a month ago. He was put into the hospital a week ago.

XxXxX

“Tommy, can you please eat something?” I begged futilely.

He tilted his head up at me, his hair falling away from his eyes to reveal the deep purple bags under them. His lips, an unnatural pale pink, moved forming his words before his voice caught up with them “I can’t, Jay. You know I can’t. I’m way to nauseas.”

“But, Tommy, you haven’t eaten since you had your last treatment,” I pleaded nudging the tray to him again.

“I know, Jay. But I just can’t. It hurts too much when I throw up. Of course I’m starving, but I can’t throw up again,” he said softly, dropping his head back onto the pillow.

I sucked in a deep breath. He has been so nauseas lately. It’s getting worse. His cancer has spread to pretty much every vital part of his body now. He didn’t have much longer left. Dr. Kradic said he may have another month, if he’s lucky. His mom had pretty much let up on not letting me around. She realized how bad it was affecting him when she kept us apart. His dad never had much to say about it to begin with, but now he was for us being together as much as possible. He knew that I made Tommy happy.

I’ve lost just about all faith in everything. I knew at some point there were going to be rough days, but it has been big chunks of rough days.  He really hasn’t been very well since the night we made love. I almost blame myself for letting him work himself up like that. Not even fifteen minutes after we had finished he began throwing up. His mother wasn’t there because she had to go back to work. So I was left alone to take care of him. I had to beg him to eat that night too.

XxXxX

“Jay,” Tommy’s raspy voice called pulling me from my thoughts.

“I’m sorry, baby, I thought you fell asleep,” I said softly, taking his hand in mine.

“I love you, Jay.”

“I love you too, Tommy.”

“Jay?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you turn on a movie? And snuggle with me?”

“Sure, baby. What movie do you want to watch?”

I jumped up from the God-awful chair beside his bed and turned on the television. I peeled the remote off of the side of the TV and brought it back with me. I lay down beside him and pushed my way under the covers. He snuggled into my chest weakly. I rested my chin on his head and he sighed contentedly.

“What is there?” he asked in a small voice that I had begun to recognize as his new voice.

I clicked through the selection of movies On Demand, looking for something interesting. How swanky was this hospital, that it had On Demand? I would know Tommy and I have watched a movie for the past three weeks he’s been in this place.

“Stop.”

My finger hovered over the down arrow. “What is it?” I asked trying to figure out which one it was that had piqued his interest.

“That one; Keith.”

 I read the description. It was about a girl who was on top until she met a mysterious boy who turned her world up when she began trying to learn more about it. It sounded like a total chick flick. The kind of movie I would pick out. I looked at the list of actors in the movie. I was shocked to see that Jesse McCartney was the one who played Keith.