Chapter 2 Mady

I bubbled with excitement, after many pleas and guilt trips, Sam and I finally convinced my mate and the others that a girls night in was needed and that they would be locked up safe behind Sam's doors. Promising I would take extra precaution when I arrived at Sam's, and would call when I was ready to leave so Nate could follow me home. The girls' night was a go. I did understand the seriousness of the situation with someone trying to get to Sam and the fact a couple months ago we lost one of our own and so did the Lions. And with no further information had ever come up on what happened or who took our Katie and the Lions Cassie. Things were tense again. After the attack on Dmitri and Sam and then the mysterious lawn guys they all believed it was Sam they wanted. I had to agree but why Sam? We only found out about who she was so the chance of someone outside the pack to know so soon was a bit hard to believe.

Knowing Sam as well as I did, I knew she must be going out of her mind being locked up in the house, and when she had to leave at least two shifters were to be with her. And with Nate's overprotective ways that left me without spending any quality time with my long-time best friend, Sam.

It had been years since we have had a homemade pizza and movie night and I was more than a little excited about it. Pulling up in Sam's driveway, keeping my eyes and senses peeled for anything out of sorts. Seeing and feeling nothing, I jumped out of the car with 6 pack of beer and movies in hand and headed up the stairs.

Entering without knocking, calling out Sam's name before heading for the kitchen to put the beer in the fridge. My feet faltered before hitting the kitchen. Turning back to look at the front door I wasn't sure if it was closed when I entered or if it was slightly ajar. Moving forward it took me a minute to comprehend what I saw. The kitchen was in shambles. A couple stools knocked over, sauce splattered against the wall and floor, cookie sheet with oil upside down and flour covered most of the floor and surface of the counter. A faint smell of fresh blood had me drop everything in my hands to step forward to concentrate of where the blood came from.

A glint caught the corner of my eye, turning to the source I spotted a blood soaked knife peeking under the fridge. Just enough common sense left in me, I ran through the house yelling Sam's name. After checking every room and with no sight of Sam or anyone else, I fumbled through my purse, searching for my phone.

Without a second thought I hit speed dial. "Jack, hurry Sam's missing. There seemed to be a struggle and there is blood. Hurry Jack, please hurry," I hung up with shaky fingers not waiting for my Alpha to respond and called my mate, my anchor, my protector and the person I needed the most right now.

The first of the tears flooded my eyes as soon as I heard Nate's voice. "Oh god Nate, she missing. Sam's missing and there's blood," I sobbed, "Please hurry."

Keeping Nate on the phone per to his request (order) until someone got there. I paced the living room, staying out of the kitchen. Not knowing what to look for and not wanting to contaminate evidence that I wouldn't know what to do with anyways. Within minutes the front door slammed open and Dmitri's presence, anger, and worry flooded the room before his physical body did.

"Where is she?" he barked.

Hanging up on Nate, I started crying again, "She's not here...the kitchen..." I pointed and watched him take off in that direction.

Immediately after, our Alpha, wolves, the Pride Leader and lions came barrelling in the house, I stayed out of their way and just pointed to the kitchen. Nate coming in scooped me up in his arms, trying to give me some reassuring words before I told him to help the others.

My best friend was missing and I had a really bad feeling about it.