Chapter 41 Sam

The blood drained from my face. Elijah was the Alpha that wanted me for himself. More like wanted my so called power. I still couldn't believe I almost fell for his trick. I believed him when he said he was only the second in his pack. I had pretty much made up my mind when Joseph told me he was not what he seemed but still it was a close call. He believed that mating with me would give him power, that was something I never considered. How would that gain him power? That was something I needed to look into and soon.

So far I have been able to sense a shifter with their touch, when I was human. I could also feel what they felt. At least the ones closer to me. But I have been attuned to people most of my life so I wasn't sure if that was because of what I was or I just paid attention. Now since I had been changed, a very short time, I can heal. Now if I could just figure out how to control the beasts that shared my body life would be easier. Ok easier may be the wrong term, how about more manageable. So once again I wondered how my mate would gain power?

There was no time for my inter dialogue and issues. This was about Joseph and his sister. How did he even get her? Joseph had told me she was living with another pack in Canada. Last time he knew she was still human.

Joseph had only written his sister a couple times over the past five year but never saw her, all he had was a small picture he kept hidden in his wallet. During that time he had tried to convince her to accept what the pack could offer her. To become a wolf. She was against it and even though she was weaker as a human, he respected her decision and after their last letter they decided it would be safer not to have any more contact with each other. Suzie, his father, and now a few of the pack and pride members knew Joseph was a born wolf not made. Joseph was just as rare as I was being a Tlazolteotl. So for Suzie's safety, just in case someone found out, there lack of correspondence was essential.

"I'm sorry Sam," His voice just above a whisper. Pain and confusion etched his face , "He wants to talk to you."

Giving him a curt nod I reached for the phone the same time Lawrence did, I got to it first, covering up the receiver, I said to Lawrence. "I need to do this. He can't do anything worse than what I have already been through." Lawrence looked sceptical but removed his hand.

Taking a deep breath, steading myself, I put the phone to my ear. "What game are you playing now, Elijah?" My voice was strong with confidence, nothing how I truly felt.

He chuckled, "Oh, so nice to hear from you Sam. I am fine and you? How are you doing these days?" My anger got the best of me, letting out a menacing growl, which made him laugh harder. "My little pup...or shall I say kitten? I am just reclaiming what is mine. Not only did you take my Joseph away, your men took my mate away," his laughter gone left was the cold angry tone.

I stared at Lawrence in shock, silently asking him what I should do. How did he know I took on both the lion and wolf shape? Should I ignore it and just go right into his claim on Joseph? Did he still want me as his mate? Thankfully Lawrence was at least thinking straight for the both of us. He had become my rock over the past few weeks, even if I would never admit that to anyone. "Sam, do not confirm or deny what you have become," His voice echoed in my mind. His voice seemed to grow much stronger than the others, especially in our human form. I was pretty sure I knew why. If that was the case than I may have answers to my other questions.

Slightly nodding to let him know I understood I went back to Elijah. "Joseph is not yours. If you remember correctly the bond between you never quite worked." I knew, well we had our suspicions why it didn't. Joseph was a natural wolf and for some reason the bond would not hold. We did not realize until he was here that he had no compulsion to go back to Elijah. After I calmed down a bit that was when Jack told me his concerns and one of the reason they locked him up for our fight with Mr.Whyte. He had given himself willingly to me and our connection was stronger, so Joseph had said. I wasn't sure how that worked since there was no ceremony or anything. I knew there was something that was done to become a pack. Jack sorta explained that to me once before. It felt somewhat different than the bond with the others but not much unless I concentrated, then I could feel Joseph's pull over everyone else's. It wasn't so much stronger but maybe more secure?

Instead of a thread, his and mine, that were separate it was more entwined. That is the best way I could explain it. It is something I thought a mated pair would be but I knew we were not mates. No a mated pair would be twined together like a thick rope. And none of this mattered at this point of time. It was Lawrence hand resting on my bare skin on my lower back that gave me strength I needed but also had my mind wander a bit. Shit I really had to talk to him soon. This had to stop being a distraction, especially at times like this.

After Joseph was forced to rape me while in the custody of Elijah, Joseph could than heal me and said that was probably the reason I could feel him stronger than the others. We have been practicing giving and taken each others essence so when I needed to heal another I would not give them everything I had and in turn almost killing myself. Just like with other wolves he slept with in the past, he created a short-term bond between them that he was able to heal them during a short time.

Dr. Bosje, the wolves doctor, and Dr. Sway, the lions, had been itching to get their hands on Joseph for some testing but with everything so crazy and their main focus was on me, there had not been time for much else. After asking my thoughts about it, Joseph had agreed to be their guinea pig. Like me.

"And if you think I am going to be your mate you can just think again," I informed him. "Elijah, just let it go. Mr. Whyte is gone and most of your wolves and humans you sent are dead. How many more do you want to lose?"

"It is too bad about Mr. Whyte he did have his...talents. But I have a question for you my dear sweet Samantha. How will you feel knowing you and only you can save little Suzie? Will it break Joseph's heart that his only sister will be turned into a wolf? Then there is the whole issue if she will even survive it. She is in excellent health for a 62 year old woman, but the change is a violent one and youth is not on her side," he said with false concern.

"You son of a..." I cursed.

"No. You listen to me Samantha. Get your ass here in 3 hours or live with the consequences. I will even allow you to bring my Joseph with you if he wants to come back and beg for my forgiveness. Some of the ladies do miss him so," with that said Elijah hung up the phone before I could say anything else.