First Relationship

Prompt: Avery experiencing her first relationship with Kaldur

My OC: Avery

Avery never thought of pursuing a relationship. It was not as if she hadn't thought the idea of having a partner or getting married, no not at all.

It was just that with her current state and with her life, it was never one that she actually believed in.

The moment she was born, she was born blinded. Only aware of her family. So when she miraculously gained her sight, Avery was more concerned in absorbing as much of the world as possible.

That is if she wasn't confined to her bed, home or hospital, otherwise. Her sickly state made it difficult to experience mundane experiences.

When she wasn't at school and could move, she learned and observed. Her uncle Ra's came and trained her, strengthening her body. When she couldn't, her uncle would teach her many, many things.

If not her Uncle Ra's, then it was her Uncle Lex. That is whenever he came to visit with her aunt.

Her Uncle Lex taught her things that she didn't know, she would need to know in the future. As a child, she merely listened and nodded; clueless.

If her aunt wasn't constant by his side, Uncle Lex would convince her parents to take her out. When he did, they would do some bonding time.

Before all of her uncles though, her parents and brothers were there. They taught her how to live and love.

As far as Avery was concerned, she only needed her family.

And that belief continued to go.

Avery didn't believe she could be in a relationship. She was sick too much and when she wasn't, she focused on her studies, her heroine persona Sprite, or living her life before her time ran out.

She was going to die prematurely.

Avery didn't believe in the idea of loving someone. She didn't want them, whoever her partner was, to go through the burden of taking care of a sick person, much less experience the loss of a loved one. She had seen what that does to people; in the hospital, from Gotham, and everywhere else.

It was a fate she didn't want them to suffer.

So Avery didn't pay attention to romantic love.

That is not until she met Kaldur.

At first, Avery thought of Kaldur'ahm as a friend and a teammate. They were part of the covert team Batman created and Kaldur, aka Aqualad, was her leader.

They had gotten along with each other pretty well before the team.

Her first impression was the fact that he was adjusting to the surface world and absorbed everything. Life under the sea was different then Life above it.

When the Team formed, Avery and Kaldur talked to each other often. Whether it was the team or beyond it.

Slowly, they opened up to each other more and more.

Then Kaldur became a close friend of Avery's.

That happened when Avery opened about her condition. How sick she really was and how fragile she was.

Then she told them how it became worse how she was related to Ra's; how she believed in his words and committed murder when his virus spread throughout Gotham.

Avery told him how she summoned a storm and spread the vaccine, the one vaccine Ra's gave her for herself, to the rest of Gotham. How she had a stroke and her body was even weakened, with memories lost.

Then she went further in time when Avery was poisoned by her aunt and how she was almost stabbed through her heart.

Then Avery told the story, that her Uncle Lex who was dating her aunt at the time, of when her aunt pushed her mother off the stairs- with a 7 month Avery still in her womb.

How she came prematurely to the world and how she had to grow faster than her age.

Kaldur listened and then he hugged her, his webbed hands stroking her long raven hair and murmured encouragements.

Avery didn't even realize she was crying and she tried to push away; for even her tears contained electricity.

Kaldur reassured her that he was immune to such an amount and he didn't mind being wet.

Avery cried a bit harder into Kaldur's shoulder. She didn't realize the built-up stress in her nor her own sorrows. She oddly felt safer and better in Kaldur'ahm's arms.

They became closer after that.

Avery didn't hold back information from Kaldur, now trusting him enough to open her history.

They often talked to each other and Avery lent her ear to Kaldur, when he confessed his longing for Atlantis...and his crush on one of his best friend: Tula.

Avery encouraged him and reassured him, whether his confession was a success or not. She didn't say it out loud but Avery did admit that Kaldur was quite handsome, paired with his good natured soul.

Then it was Avery's turn to hug Kaldur in comfort when Kaldur'ahm returned from Atlantis. She didn't know at the time what had happened and it wasn't until after much later, did Kaldur tell Avery.

Avery listened and that night, they had comforted each other to sleep. That night, Avery slept well. She was currently suffering from her weakened state and sleep did not come easily. So when Avery talked to Kaldur, she wasn't even tired.

Sometime later, Kaldur felt tired and it was late.

They had finished a mission and exhaustion had hit them. Instead of trekking back to his room, Avery merely scooted over and made room on her bed. Kaldur tried to politely dismiss it, since he was worried that he would take too much room and would be improper but when Avery confessed she was use to sleeping with someone or her cats- to drive away nightmares- that's what sold Kaldur.

He sighed in exhaustion and he slid in the bed with Avery, their backs facing each other, before they fell into sleep.

No nightmares or pain haunted Avery that night. When she woke up, Kaldur was about to get out as well. They stared at each other before Kaldur helped Avery to the kitchen.

No words were spoken but they walked a bit closer after that day.

Then one day Kaldur asked her if she wanted to be in a relationship with him. Avery could see that Kaldur was trying to move away from Tula and his best friend Garth dating each other.

However, with so many of their own teammates being in love with each other or had eyes for each other,

That was difficult.

Avery agreed, for she had no reason not to. Kaldur was a good man and they trusted each other already. She felt comfortable with him and Avery didn't deny the fact she had thought "What if?"

Days passed and the two slowly fell into a romantic relationship.

Then slowly, the two began to love each other.

Avery didn't believe she could be in a relationship.

However, it didn't matter to life what you believed in.

Life goes on after all.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Decided I should actually write out how my OC, Avery, entered a relationship with Kaldur 

Tumblr: https://audreyandherocs.tumblr.com/