Leaving

Jenna was in the back washing dishes when her cell went off. She ignored it the first time, not wanting to answer while on shift. But then it rang again. So, she checked it, but hit ignore upon finding a number she didn't recognize. Finished with the glasses, she brought them up front.

"Ah, just in time." Doc smiled, grabbing one from her. She smiled and started putting the rest up before serving other customers. She started to grab a fresh glass, only to be stopped by Rosie.

Rosie was a rather tall, lithe, red headed waitress with an alluring smile and lean curves. She was Jenna's senior at McGinty's, and easily out shined Jenna's attempts at serving customers. Mostly because she just couldn't seem to muster that cheerful disposition like Rosie could. Nor could she outdo that natural Irish brogue that eased the customers with the likeness, the familiarity.

She'd worked at the bar for four years... Three? Five? She thought... Well, Jenna couldn't compare with her measly two weeks, either way, nor with her southern twang of an accent that severely butchered the Irish accent her mother had given her.

"I got these guys." She jerked her head to Conner, Rocco, and Murphy.

"Ok." She backed off and went to go pick up some more glasses. Her smile never left. Though it was different from her professional smile. This one was softer, relief flooding her nerves at not having to serve over that huge bar.

And yet, it seemed Rosie did that all night. Any time she tried to serve at the bar, she was shoved aside and told to go pick up glasses. She didn't mind, much to Rosie's disappointment. It meant she didn't have to put that false confidence in her voice. The peppy bubble, have to stand on her tiptoes to reach the bar top.

By the end of the night, she was still exhausted, but at least only physically. And, despite that, at least her arches didn't ache so.

She grabbed her phone, finding no other missed calls, but one voice message.

"Jenna." Was all it said. It got her heart racing. It made her breath catch and her knees nearly give. It was like she was seeing things through a straw... or was that her breathing? She couldn't seem to catch her breath as she leaned on the sink.

She took a long time, long enough for the boys to come in, getting Doc's attention who was doing last minute clean up. "I thought- thought sh-sh-she -Fuck! Ass!" He'd thought she left long ago.

"Right..." Conner pushed past and went into the back. Finding her leaning against a sink, head down, staring at her phone. "Everythin' all right, love?"

She jumped. And that look couldn't be covered fast enough. It took a moment too long for her to recognize him. A moment that Conner saw everything. Eyes wide with panic, tears at the corners that threatened to fall, the 'O' shape of her mouth as she gasped in surprise.

Blushing, she mumbled something incoherent, stuffing her phone in her pocket, using that as an excuse to duck her head and let her hair fall, forming a wall between them. Meager though it was, with her hair still pulled up. She grabbed her purse out of the cubby and rubbed at

her eyes. She looked exhausted.

Doc gave her a curious look, tried to reach out to her, but she jerked away, still attempting to recover herself.

"I'm fine. I just zoned out, is all." She assured, going back to hug him gingerly at the hurt in his eyes. "I'll see you next time." She quickly went out the door, leaving her escorts to catch up this time.

"Hey now, easy!" Murphy called.

"What's wrong now, Lass?"

"It's nothing." She insisted, fiddling with a bit of hair that had fallen from her bun. She kept them in her peripheral, looking up at the path ahead.

"Hell it is, you're using that bar voice." Murphy scoffed.

She blushed. "You- you don't know me." Now she was defensive and they definitely wouldn't get anything out of her.

"Don't have to know yeh to be concerned, Love." Conner amended, giving Murphy an irritated look. He just rolled his eyes and returned it.

"It's.... It's nothing important." She shook her head, a finality in her tone. They couldn't push her.

This time, the walk was silent.

She didn't look at them, but absently mumbled a thanks before she went in and locked the door behind her. Inside, their own apartment, they heard her shuffle before a creak signaled she'd flopped onto her bed.

The apartments were so different, one might think they were from two separate buildings, two separate worlds. Where hers had walls and dark colors and carpeted rugs and nick knacks, theirs was bare as the day they moved in. Large and open, two mattresses and a couch, a few shelves, a table piled high with fast food containers and ashtrays. A small TV. No privacy, that was for sure.

Something had happened. Something major enough for her to withdraw.

Doc wouldn't tell them everything, but it didn't take a genius to figure out. She'd gotten into some sort of trouble and moved here. The flinching at hands, making special care not to touch anyone, the jumping at loud noises. That face...

Her shower turned on.

What he had been able to tell them, made their blood run hot. How she'd come from Missouri to visit despite the strained relationship between her mother and him. How she'd sought him out, hoping for a place to stay, sanctuary, to escape her overbearing mother.

He'd been so stressed when she had shown up, dead on her feet, literally. Collapsing in his arms. How she'd gotten there was anyone's guess, but she'd made it and spent weeks in recovery.

When she'd finally had enough of "leeching off her uncle's kindness", she'd insisted on moving out, standing on her own two feet. He'd managed to finagle her into working for him, but living arrangements had to be made.

So, he'd gone to the boys. Hoping for an opening in the building. Hoping they could keep an eye on her. That trust had meant a lot and answered more questions than it didn't. He'd been so excited upon receiving that letter requesting she might visit her estranged uncle. Now, they could all see the worry. His Turrets becoming more pronounced than ever. It had worried the guys.

Luckily, a tenant had moved out, seeking their fortune elsewhere. Though it had taken some magic on their end to get the apartment next to theirs available instead of the one on the first floor.