Bonding

She woke up feeling warm and disoriented. She took a deep breath and started to shift, pillow was really hard. Had she fallen asleep on a book again? She groaned... But then her groan was echoed back at her. Not hers. No, this one was deeper and more... Masculine. She jerked up.

"What time is it?" Conner groaned, rubbing his eyes. He'd been on top of the covers, but he... He was in her apartment. In her bed.

"How.... What.... When...?" She panicked.

"Whoa now, easy." Conner was instantly alert. He got off the bed as her eyes, those wide, frantic eyes, flitted between him and the door. "Easy. You were sick, remember?" He moved and talked slowly, trying to keep her as calm as possible.

She thought for a moment, but nodded, hesitantly.

"Murph and me, we took care of yeh. I stayed over cause you asked me not to leave, remember?" She shook her head this time. "You- you don't?" She clutched at the blankets. Eye's fearful as she let her mind work. He stayed silent, praying on how to fix this without her screaming at him.

"It.... It was dark?" Her voice was soft as her eyes flitted to an outlet, he hadn't noticed a nightlight: fallen, kicked by the dresser. Murphy had been sitting close to there. The moron.

He nodded. "Yeah."

She slowly pointed to the door and he backed out just as slowly.

Murphy was just coming out of the apartment when Conner let out a sigh on the other side of the door, feeling like he'd very much dodged a bullet.

"Everythin' all right, Con?"

"Fuck!" He jumped, hissing. But seeing Murphy, he sighed. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

"How is she?"

"Better. She's better." He then whacked him upside the head.

"Ow, Fuck wassat fer?!"

"Yeh unplugged a nightlight and didn't put it back is whatcha did."

"Was diggin' into my back! You gonna get ready fer work or what?"

"Yeah. Gimme a minute."

"You sure? You get any sleep?"

"Yeah....Yeah I did." He couldn't hide the smile pulling at his lips as he entered his apartment. Not noticing Murphy's own smile as his eyes followed after his brother.

~~~~

When they came home, the smells were overpowering the entire floor. Someone was cooking something amazing. They followed their noses and it lead them to Jenna's door.

Please let there be extra!

She knocked on their door, presenting them with their own little portions and when they expected her to run off, she just stood there. She was blushing rather hard, and not looking at them, but she stayed where she was.

"Something we can help yeh with, Love?" Conner asked, a bit hesitantly.

She shook her head no. "I..." she cleared her throat. "I just..... Thanks. For.... For everything."

"You just keep makin' food like this, Darlin. We'll do anything you ask." Murphy laughed.

Jenna blushed again before she finally retreated.

She wasn't sure how she felt about what she remembered, but she knew she trusted them- not just through her uncle anymore. They'd been nothing but patient and kind. She could be a right brat when she was sick. But they'd done nothing unkind. Save for breaking into her apartment. And unplugging her night light.