The unexpected

She didn't notice when he left, but he was there when she was off. Waiting for her outside, smoke curled from his fingertips and spilled from his mouth. "Freedom!" She sighed, shouldering her purse before spinning in the night air. She stumbled, but he caught her, both of them smiling.

But then, she was looking up at him, his arms around her. He was looking down at her. Not down his nose, but his head was tiled, like she was sunshine.

She cleared her throat and pulled away. "Apologies. I... I'm a little slap happy." She excused.

He couldn't wipe the smile from his face, she was learning to let go around him, if only a little. She was becoming happy to see him. If only a little.

Her smile slowly sneaked its way back to her face as they walked. She scuffed her shoes a bit, too tired to pick up her feet after a while and not paying attention. He hadn't been watching her straight on, but the second she stumbled, his arm shot out, catching her, swinging her back to him. He kept his arm around her as she walked. She was stiff, but when he did nothing else, slowly, inch by inch, muscle by muscle, she relaxed.

However, just as she was getting settled, they were at her door. "Oh." She mumbled after a moment of them standing there. He removed his arm and took her keys before she dropped them. She was so tired. He let her wander through her door, but waited until he heard her lock it before he went to his own.

He held his hand up to Murph, who'd been reading a book, before he could say anything. Only to chuckle a bit when he heard the water running to cover the sound of her going to the bathroom.

"How'd it go?" Murph finally asked.

Conner just lay on his bed, unable to wipe the smile from his face. "You think it's too soon to ask for marriage?"

"So fuckin' cheesy."

~~~~

They woke to the sound of her speaking to someone, from the lack of responses, she was on the phone. They couldn't quite understand her, but it didn't seem to be a happy conversation. She hung up quickly. Exchanging looks, they started getting ready for work. They could almost feel the agitation coming from her door.

However, there was nothing they could do until they finished work. They did give Doc a call.

Jenna's phone rang off and on throughout the day, but she ignored it. She played her music, cleaning, instead. She built a few shelves, sticking them into the wall in various places. When her door was knocked on, however, she couldn't ignore it.

Her hair was thrown up into a messy bun, she was wearing an old shirt, baggy, paint stains on it, and jean shorts that were nearly swallowed up by the shirt.

Conner'd not expected that. He saw a bottle of whiskey on her coffee table, about half empty. But she didn't seem flushed. "Hello." She said.

"You seem upset." Conner stated. "Somethin' happen, Love?"

She sighed. "I'm... I...." She seemed like she was gonna try to lie to him, but couldn't quite seem to spill it out. "Won't you come in?" She finally asked, stepping aside.

A bit surprised, his eyebrows rose up, but he stepped inside. She closed the door, but kept her distance. She leaned against the far wall, a window overlooking the roof of the next building. "What's wrong?" He prompted.

"I...got a call." She didn't look at him, fiddling with her fingernails.

"That bastard buggin' yeah again?"

"No, It... It wasn't him." She ran a hand through her hair and sniffed her nose. "It was my momma." She finally admitted.

He remembered their conversation last night and went to open his mouth, but he honestly didn't know what to say.

But he didn't have to say anything. She continued her admission, "She kicked me out a few years ago. I told you she kicked me out?" She started.

"Yeah...."

"Her ears must have been burning because she called this morning. She thought it'd be a good idea to try to talk to me about my relationship with him. She was the one who gave him my number, told him where I might be. He was the reason she kicked me out in the first place!" She'd had all day to stew about this. Her anger was right harsh. Her fingers bunched the material on her arms.

"Jenna, I can't possibly imagine what you're going through." He tried. Reaching out, but she flinched. He waited as she wrestled with herself.

"Are you... Are you gonna hurt me, Conner?" She finally asked, looking up at him.

"Jenna, I... I would never intentionally hurt you." He promised. She searched his face, looking for any sign of a lie.

Seemingly satisfied, she let herself fall into him, her arms wrapping around his waist. He let his arms encompass her, crossing over her back and shoulders. Not for the first time, did he marvel at how small she was. She hugged him with everything she had, her head tucked just under his chin, if he slouched a little.