Zin - Chapter 1: The End

"Earth. Earth is the home of over eight million species. It has twenty percent oxygen and point-o-four percent carbon dioxide. Seventy-one percent of Earth is nitrogen. Nitrogen is important for the existence of life. Oxygen and carbon dioxide are also essential, sustaining the various needs of plants and animals..."

I listened to the passage without the slightest interest.

"This is so cool!" my companion continued, flipping through the pages of her leather-bound book, "There's even something called electricity... Wow--a 'radio'!" She pointed at one of the pages, shimmering. Her fair skin blended into wisps of colorless hair.

"Who cares about a dusty old book?" I dismissed, "I am a Dryad. You're an Aurian. We should study things here."

"Really? 'Here' sounds like the dullest thing imaginable..." Aer admitted. She joined me, viewing the mid-afternoon sky, "Just think about it. I know you're smart. We could bridge the gap between Eden and Earth. We could do something nobody else has done!"

"Uh. No thanks."

"Zin! We could let the humans know who we are! Doesn't that sound amazing?"

"No!" my face whitened until it matched her skin color. I almost fell from the tree, astonished, "Come on, you know that's impossible! Think about all of the problems that would cause! You should stick to your Aurian papers. Earth is getting to your head...!"

"No thanks, Zin..." Aer sighed, watching the sunsets. Her eyes were surreal, "I wish I was like you--a Dryad. I want to study life--Not centrifugal force... I want to meet a human, Zin--I really do."

"That's weird."

She ignored me, "Humans are important for our people. The Council of Elements captures an earth child every rotation. The genetic variation is needed to keep us alive. If some of us didn't intermingle with their kind, who knows what we would do? Generations would grow more and more sick... eventually, everyone would die."

"Yes, but I don't see your point. All we need is one of those creatures to keep us going. Not a million. That proves how worthless they are."

"I don't think so. Who are we to decide that?" she jumped from the tree, "So say all you want!" I heard her feet as they hit the ground, feathers trailing behind her. She shouted to me from the bottom of the forest, "You'll see differently one day!"

I sighed, training my eyes to the stars that hung over Eden. Words escaped my mouth, too quiet for anyone else to hear, "Trust me... You'll be the one who sees differently, Aer. You will."

A year has passed since then, and I haven't abandoned my promise.

|

Water ran across my face, stricken with anxiety.

My reflection stared at me from the river. It was apprehensive, encrusted with sweat and dirt. Blonde hair dripped across my eyes. I am staring at the image of a million lies, I thought to myself, grabbing a thin instrument from the grass. A million and one.

My teeth clench and my heartbeat quickened as I stuck the needle into my skin, smothering exclamations of distress. My body began to blaze with pain.

Tears trickled from my eyes. This is the torment of being a human, I reminded myself, enduring the agony. A translucent fluid bombarded my veins, discoloring my arm a grayish hue. I leaned forward, pinching my eyelids together. This is how it feels to be different than everyone else.

I endured the sensations, gasping for breath. The world spun, nauseating me until I gagged saliva. I fell to the ground, praying for relief. My veins were burning. It always hurts like this, doesn't it?