Seoul - Chapter 5: The Key

Lucifer smiled, "There is nothing behind that wall."

I ignored him, "I... don't... care!" The cracks across it grew, breaking into shards of stone that fell into the pit below me. My bones threatened to rip from my body, struggling to hold onto the edge.

"You should give up" he insisted, "We can't do this all day."

The shadowy hole tugged me backwards. I lost traction and my hand slipped, but I held my grip with the other. Lucifer observed me with tired eyes, waving his hand.

"Let's get moving."

The abyss imploded on itself, vibrating into an invisible push. I was thrown into the wall as my flesh began to burn, screaming.

The demon cackled, "There we go!" His voice erupted across the room, "This is so much more fun--I'll take your soul next!"

I felt a strange tingling. My body numbed as my thoughts blurred...

"You're will is starting to slip" Lucifer gleamed, his fingers curling around a strand of mist, "In just a-"

BOOM.

Rocks showered from behind me, breaking off of the wall in an avalanche. The demon wobbled in bewilderment, swiveling towards the rupture. He paused, his eyes growing wide, "W-what?"

For a moment, there was complete silence. I felt my strength restore itself as I opened my eyes, staring at Lucifer's face. He hesitated as the mist left his hands.

I studied him, just as tense.

"Impossible!" he screamed, "I don't know how... but... I've--I've found it!" he roared, pointing a finger at the rubble, "The key to my prison!"

My eyes widened, turning towards a light shimmering in the debris.

"...I will leave this rotten world... and return to the overlands! "

My heart raced. I had seconds to do something. I can't let Lucifer get that thing, "No you won't." I backfired, "Not if I can help it!"

"Ha!" he snickered. A second wave of force hit me, rattling my mind. My grasp on reality was slipping...

A pile of stones broke my fall, spinning my vision. I tried reaching for the light. The light...

A key...

I held my hand in the air. I remembered my brother. I remembered his pure smile. What's going to happen to you, brother? Are you going to end up here?

A memory...

Mist flooded out of my heart. And you, mother? Will you protect him? I'm sorry I failed you, mother. Please don't fail him. Please.

Through the stone, I felt a cold sensation spread through my fingers-here...

Here it is...

This is the key.

The fog receded...

This is the light.

Beams of energy shattered Lucifer's spell. My body lunged out of his domain, through a strange passage that sliced through the Underworld like a gash in space.

"No!" He clung for me in desperation, but the slit pulled me in. "I'm the king of this world--the king!" his pleas were lost as the gate shut behind him, replaced by far-away echoes. Hell was gone, and in my hands was its key. A stone.

Wind pushed against my hair as I fell through some sort of tunnel. I did it... I realized. I... escaped...

The most unexplainable happiness came over me. I shouted into the tunnel excitedly, "I escaped!" The only question left was where I would go to next!

I closed my eyes, smiling wide. I'll find my brother. That's something I'll definitely do.

Wherever I ended up, one thing was for certain. Anywhere was better than Hell.