Sacrifice

Merlins soul cried as he felt the king's skin going cold beneath his fingers, he let out an animalistic roar of anguish as he felt his other half passing to the one place his servant cannot follow, his world slowed to a steady thrum as his eyes burned molten gold, his hands on his master's chest sending out tendrils of pure gold energy and wrapping him like a blanket. Tears ripped from his closed eyes as words poured from his mouth in a low unnatural hiss.

"Wundian verplaas geedniwian res bi min lichoma"

Sweat dripped down his red face and mingled with his tears. Merlin screamed and yelled that one phrase over and over his voice growing hoarser and hoarser. When he felt the life leave him, he fell backwards to the ground, his limp king landed on top of him. Even as he started groaning in pain and choking on his own blood, even as his king's chest jolted up and down erratically and a healthy flush rose up his neck, Merlin could feel his life fading slowly, his eyes began to flutter closed.

Arthur could feel himself lying on something strange, kind of... bony? Is this the afterlife? Then why can he feel his heart beating in his chest, sending life through his body, why does his chest rise and fall? Merlin, did Merlin find a spell after all? Arthur heard a weak groan coming from underneath him so he rolled over. To his horror he saw Merlin there, groaning weakly with blood soaking his tunic and trickling out the corner of his mouth. Arthur picked his servant up gently and put him in his lap, he could feel the tears dripping down his cheeks as his friends eye lashes fluttered. The breath on his cheek from where Merlins head rested in the crook of his neck was growing weaker.

Arthur felt like clutching his chest to make sure his heart was still there because it felt like he was being torn in two, he choked on his tears and he felt as if he was in a daze, a nightmare he would wake from cause Merlin, well he's Merlin, full of life with an insult or two to those who deserve them, incredibly opinionated Merlin, Merlin who doesnt take no for an answer.

Merlin the brave idiot

Merlin his brave idiot

Merlin his brother

Merlin his first true friend

And Merlin, well, Merlin can't just die. How could he make it through this life without him, the man who shaped him, the one who humbled him, the one who showed him a better way.

"What have you done."He whispered brokenly.

"What, have you done." Arthur pressed his forehead against the pale one of his brother's. And cried. Finally, blue appeared between his eye lids. Arthur felt hope come to his heart.

"Why Merlin, why would you do this for me." To me? Merlins muscles worked weakly so Arthur leaned his face closer to catch his words.

"I'd do it all again to save my best friend, you prat." Arthur wanted to yell at him, to ask him, what about me, what will I do without you there, how will I get through my life without my insubordinate servant who won't give in for anything.

But instead he had to close his best friend's eyes. Arthur felt daggers stab his heart, he cried hysterically and rocked the body of his best friend back and forth. He couldn't even look up as a dragon landed before him, pure grief shining in his eyes. He didn't even blink when a scaly head rested next to him. Arthur didn't know why, but he asked the dragon what his best friend had done for him and the dragon breathed on him and his world went black.

Arthur was shown all of Merlins life in Camelot.

When he woke he curled in a ball, tears of sadness and gratitude running down his face and soaking the sheets. He couldn't feel the soft feminine hands which rubbed comforting circles on his back. His mind was blank and his heart felt anguished, something inside him had snapped, part of him was missing. Arthur doesn't know who he is anymore. Something within him shattered and he could feel himself bordering on insanity.