t w e l v e

Richelle was starving.  

And tired.  

But more importantly they weren't letting eat breakfast.

Sure, Richelle had never had a huge appetite.  She was awalys a small kid, but she sure could eat.  She wasn't even one to eat unhealthfully, but man, all she wanted was some sort of protein drink.  Any flavor, she was just hungry. 

It was also six the morning.  She was used to getting up early for school or dance on the weekends, but this was exhausting.  When she dances she felt energized and excited.  

That is not the same feeling you get when your being prepped for surgery.

She has a ton of 'good luck in surgery' texts from TNS members.  Elliot had sent more flowers and a teddy bear.  Lola's moms texted her a video of them saying good luck.  Even Skylar (which Richelle has absolutely no idea how she knows about her surgery) texted her to wish her well.

Apart of her was a little happy she was getting the surgery.  The sooner, the better, right?  She could get it over with and start dancing as soon as possible.  The sooner she could feel the rush she felt while doing lifts.  Or the serenity she feels during her private ballet classes with Daniel.  Dance made her feel the best with herself--happy, proud, powerful--she misses it more than she does being able to walk.    

The other side of her was terrified.  Petrified, even.  What happened if the doctors accidentally mess up her hip even more than it already was?  She sure doesn't want to have to get a hip replacement at seventeen.  

But she's already gotten two second opinions from other doctors and everyone says getting the surgery is by far the best option.  She kinda wants to back out, but the consent papers have already been signed and they were going to roll her into the E.R. to get her the anesthesia in her system any minute now.

She checked her phone notifications one last time.  Only to find that Lola had posted a good luck in surgery post on Instagram.  She had three different photos in the post.  One of them at a sleep over they had had right before Richelle lost her dance captaincy.  Both in their pajamas, popcorn in between them.  Lola's head rested on Richelle's shoulder.  One of Lola's moms, Chloe took it for them.  Richelle and Lola had watched three of the Bring It On movies that night.  It had been awesome.  The next photo was of the two of them with Noah and Kingston.  Lola and Richelle had been taking a selfie at the team diner they had after the two troupes merged, and Noah and Kingston had photo bombed it.  The photo came out pretty well.  Lola and Richelle laughing and Noah and Kingston doing Noah's classic "rockstar" sign.   The third was a photo that they took in the hospital yesterday.  Her own hair looked a little greasy, and Lola wasn't really looking at the camera, but they still were smiling.  She missed her best friend.  She's not sure how this dance season would have gone without Lola.  Honestly she might of gone of the deep end.

She opened her Snapchat.  She didn't keep streaks, those were a waste of time.  She wasn't even sure why she had Snapchat, she's only posted on her story like eleven times.  But Noah had snapped her, and she figured it would be rude to not open.  

And she's kinda glad she did open it.

It was a video of his dog, JT, barking at the camera.  Under the dog, the text read, "he's saying good luck," with a smiley face emoji.  It was sweet.  She was glad that her friends cared so much.  It help reassure her that even when she wouldn't be able to dance, they would welcome her at the studio.  She needed that.

"Miss Richmond, we're ready for you in the E.R.  Ready to go?"  Richelle placed her phone down.  She gave Macy a hug and took a deep breathe.

"As ready as I'll ever been."