Chapter 2

Night one. I could not believe it, yet here I was standing in all black, with one of my best friends at my side, and a guy who I called Marshal ready to murder me. Well, I shouldn't say murder, but abuse might work better,

"It seems like just yesterday I was giving out bids to your boners," he let out a sigh, "well, those days are over. It's time to get serious and get down to business," said Marshal as he began pacing back and forth again. Then he stopped and turned his back to us and faced the wall.

An awkward silence filled the room. I stood still but let my eyes drift to Crew's face. He was already looking at me, and we exchanged a look that said the same thing:

What the hell is going on...

"ALRIGHT!" said Marshal turning to us. Charlie let out a yelp, and Marshal gave him a dirty look. I couldn't tell if Charlie was shaking because he was next to Wilson, but I bet he is.

"Tonight is not going to be like anything you kids have ever faced before. Oh, no, no, no. This is night one of six. A Kappa Alpha Tau tradition, and each night comes with a lesson." An image of an army sergeant filled my head watching Marshal bark all his words. "No one will tell you the lessons that come with each night, but it is expected that you all know what each lesson is by the last day. Not night but day. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir" we all muttered together.

"What the hell was that?" Marshal screamed while stomping his right foot, "I fucking said, 'do I make myself clear?'"

"YES SIR!" we all shouted.

"Jesus. You guys suck. Pathetic. Probably the worst pledge class in the history of Kappa Alpha Tau," said Marshal.

What I have learned in the pledging process, in the two months I've been doing it, is that if you're right, you're wrong; and if you're wrong, you're fucked. Right now, we were in a middle ground. Which meant we were fucked.

"Take off your shirts and blindfold yourselves. Now. And I swear if I catch you peaking you will be dropped right here on the spot. We don't need any more Milks over here," said Marshal.

I wanted to know what happened with Milk, but I had more important worries right now. I took off my black shirt, began twisting it like a long spiral pretzel, and tied a knot behind my head. Everything was black. I felt Crew's soft skin brush up against mine. It felt on purpose, but I'm glad he did. It relieved me to know someone familiar was still with me. I felt Marshal's presence near me, but I didn't know where he was exactly.

"Alright. Looks like you're all blindfolded," he said to my left. "Now everyone turn to the right."

I followed the command.

"Put your arms on the person's shoulders in front of you."

Again, I followed the command and put my hands-on Crew's muscular, broad, soft shoulders. He was surprisingly warm. Unlike Wilson. Damn, his hands brought an icy chill that crawled over my body.

"Walk," said Marshal's voice now in front of me.

Crew's body began to move forward, and I followed him. Although I was blindfolded, I knew the layout of the house pretty well. Since we are in the basement now, there is only one door in front of us. That door leads to a long hallway with two doors on the right. The closest one is the laundry room and the furthest one is the "smash" room, where people just break things. Since we are still moving forward, and the smell changed from old beer to laundry detergent, I know we are in the long hallway.