1

Its unfortunate really.

How one dies, becomes a lost soul, and is to never  see the light again.

-author unknown

__________________________________________________________

"We'll be leaving in 5 minutes, grab your things."  Mom stood in my bedroom doorway, a box propped against her hip. She stared at me for a while before I looked up and made eye contact.

"Its only for a week, Thomas. You will survive." She moved a strand of her from her face.

"I don't understand why I cant just stay home. Ive been left here alone plenty of times, besides dad will be back from his business trip later on today." I said In reply, as I grabbed my backpack.

"It doesn't matter if you'd be home alone. Your coming to the funeral, and were staying in aunt Shanna's house to pay our respects. End of discussion Thomas." Mom answered, picking up my clothes from the floor.

"Id say that's kinda dumb considering, she died in that house, no correction,  she killed herself in that house. Wouldn't just being there upset you?" I grumbled.

My mom looked up at me, pain and tears welling in her eyes. Sometimes I couldn't control the things coming from my mouth, that goes for most teenagers actually, we  just cant help it. However seeing mom now, after what I had just said, I wish I could take it back. I didn't mean to sound that harsh, aunt Shanna was her sister after all, however we never saw her because 'her and mom had a rough past' according to mom. 

"How could you be so disrespectful?" 

I couldn't find words. "erm, mom..I'm sorry" 

Mom covered her face to hide her tears. She looked away from me which made me feel even more guilty. I dropped my backpack and walked over to my mother and gave her a hug. I was taller than her, so it was easy to wrap my arms around her. As soon as she broke free, she wiped her tears and let out a sigh. "Time to head out."

___________________________________________________________

It was a 3 hour drive. The funeral wasn't for a few days, but mom thought it was better to go earlier so that we could settle into the house, make it more like home for these next few days. As we pulled into the driveway, mom parked the car and turned it off. We sat silently for a while. Mom rested her arms on the steering wheel, looking straight ahead, she spoke. 

"I miss her. I should've took the time to see her, to talk to her, to forgive her for what she did." She slowly leaned her head against the steering wheel.

I had no idea what she was talking about, and she never would tell me, adult business, she'd say.  I don't pay attention to what she says about the subject anyways, to be honest half the time she isn't even talking to me. Its like she's off in her own world, either talking to herself or sometimes it seems she's talking to aunt Shanna, but I mean, that's women for you.

My eyes then glanced to the house. It was really nice, very big and spacious, yet it had a crooked feeling about it. It  also didn't look like aunt Shanna had neighbors, only trees and bushes surrounded the property. Perhaps Aunty was some sort of vampire who didn't like people and she killed herself because she didn't want to be the creature she was? Too soon for jokes?

"Uh, mom? I'm going to go into the house, can I have the keys please?" I tapped her shoulder gently. She looked up and nodded, her eyes puffy and red. "Yes of course, ill be in, in a bit." She handed me the keys.