ғιve

SVARTALFHEIM was a bleak realm of infertile soil and the metallic remains of once great warships. Now though, nothing thrived or could even live in the wasteland. The silver and gold skiff cut through the heavy air. They had brought the Aether away from Asgard to prevent any further destruction.

Loki stood at the back of the skiff with Syn sitting by his side in silence. Neither of them knew what to expect from the plan that he and Thor had crafted. There was no certainty that it would even work if anything, it would result in the lot of them being slaughtered and Malekith possessing the Aether regardless.

Above them, the sky opened up to reveal the elven craft descending. Loki halted the skiff on the cliff-side and looked to Syn. She nodded and rose, collecting and focusing her illusion over Jane Foster. It was a simple cast that switched their faces, yet it could not change the fact that Jane still held an infinity stone within her being.

The ploy had worked perfectly. Loki's illusion held as he stabbed Thor and pushed him down the cliff. When the God of Thunder lifted his arm to summon Mjölnir, Loki brought his dagger down, severing his brother's hand.

Syn fell at Thor's side, still wearing the guise of Jane, and looked down at the stump of his wrist, clutching onto his arm, but Loki slipped his arm around her waist. "I am Loki, of Jötunheim, and I bring you a gift." Loki threw Syn down at the Dark Elf's feet, but the Accursed knew that something was awry. He could not sense the Aether within her.

A dagger of light formed within Syn's hand and in a quick motion, she thrust it upward, toward his neck. He gripped her wrist and dagger faded into mist. Malekith hoisted Syn up by the neck and the illusion faltered. Revealing silver hair and ice eyes instead of brown. She clawed at his hand and kicked out, flailing.

Panic coursed through Loki, but it was too late to act as Algrim pushed Jane forward. "Witch," Malekith spat as he dropped Syn. She crumpled to the ground, unmoving and his attention moved to the mortal.

The Aether streamed from Jane and into the air as a red, writhing mass. "Loki!" Thor shouted and his illusion broke. Mjölnir flew into Thor's hand, the hammer crackling with lightning.

Syn extended her arm toward where Jane lay, covering her body in a protective charm. Loki slid down to the ground, shielding Syn with his own body. "I've got you," he breathed, eyes moving down to the dark bruise on her throat.

The explosion was deafening and shards of red rained down upon them. Loki rose with a dagger in hand. The Aether reformed and slipped into Malekith. He nodded to the elves and left.

Syn looked over her shoulder at Jane, who struggled to stand upright. "Stay behind me." She raised her hands and emitted a force shield of blue-white light.

But Loki saw the grenade in Algrim's hand and his glance toward Syn and Jane. He dashed forward, pushing them out of the way just before it detonated. Syn leaped to her feet and reached out for him as the explosion sucked him into the void, but she couldn't reach him. "Loki!" There was a flash of red through the air. Thor.

Syn glanced at the two brothers as they stood, unharmed and turned her attention back to Jane and the shield. The elves that ran toward them bounced off the barrier and Loki dispatched them with ease.

But then he was gone and the elves that had remained behind encircled the two women. A dagger appeared within her clenched hand and she threw it into the neck of the one elf.

Jane cried out and the shield around them wavered. With a wave of her hand, the offending elf flew backward into a boulder, but another rammed the butt of its weapon into her side. She lashed that one into the air and forced herself back to her feet. The Goddess of Truth was not a warrior, not like Sif, and the expenditure of her energy was taking a toll on her strength.