ѕιх

HE entered her chambers as Odin, but as soon as the door closed behind him the guise faded in a green light. Syn closed her book and rose from her fireside chair, frowning at his worn appearance. Keeping the visage of Odin day after day was beginning to take a toll on his strength.

"People will grow suspicious if you keep coming to my chambers as the Allfather," she reminded him. Oft times when in public together, he seemed to forget himself, that he was wearing his father's face. The face of a man who had just lost his Queen.

Loki strode over to her and grasped onto her hips, pulling her flush against him, smirking. "I have little care for the opinions of others," he quipped in return, leaning down for a kiss. Only Syn turned her head and raised her fingers to his lips.

"Loki," she began, serious. The God of Mischief frowned, he never did like it when she used that tone of voice. "You know this charade will not last forever." It was only a matter of time before he slipped up, before someone noticed the minute differences, before Thor would return, before Heimdall saw through the numerous illusions.

"I know," he whispered, his forehead resting against hers, "but let's enjoy it until it ends."

Syn had left the council meeting, promptly, after Odin had charged Heimdall with negligence of duty. She hid away behind stacks of books and scrolls, an attempt to calm herself.

Loki found her in the library, reading over tedious tomes that spelled out the ancient laws of the realms. She only ever delved into that work when she was upset or angry. Today she was both.

He slipped into the chair opposite of her and folded his hands on the table. Syn glanced up, then back down to the text detailing the punishments for treason and impersonation of a member of the court. "You're not pleased," Loki stated, but anyone could have seen that. She could hide her thoughts and emotions well, yet she had never been able to successful conceal her anger.

It took her a moment to find the right words. It was him that she was upset with, after all. There were aspects of his reign that she agreed with, that had allowed Asgard to prosper, but some of his actions were nigh reckless. Syn drew in a long breath. "You're a good king," she began, "but we cannot isolate ourselves and we cannot stand without Heimdall!"

The Goddess of Truth laid out a piece of parchment with runes that had been scribbled down in haste. "I received word from Eitri," she told him. The dwarves had been attacked by the rock trolls when the Bifrost had been destroyed, but Thor had sorted out that conflict in a matter of hours. Now the dwarf lord had sent grave news once again.

"The great forges of Nidavellir have gone cold. He says that a great evil came to him." Nidavellir was one of Asgard's closest allies, they could not let such actions go unchecked without risking the loss of more allies angered by inaction.

"Loki," Syn began, weighing out her next words carefully, "we need to contact Thor." She wondered if he had even heard what she had said at first due to his blank expression, but it quickly twisted into anger and disgust. He slammed his fist down on the table. "No!" She flinched at the outburst and saw the anger flare up in his green eyes. It was gone in an instant, replaced by regret.

"I've been having dreams," Syn confided. It was time that she told him the true reason she was waking at odd hours of the night. Loki's brows furrowed. The images flashed across her mind, clear as any memory. "Asgard engulfed in flames and everyone we know and love is dead." The worst part wasn't seeing the palace and surrounding lands bathed in flames, it was seeing the lifeless forms of Heimdall, of Fandral and Volstagg, of Sif, and even of Amora and her treacherous sister. Everyone was dead.

Loki scanned her face, hoping to find something that would give him a reason just believe they were dreams and nothing more. He could not find that proof. Not in her hardened lilac eyes or grim lips. "Okay," he whispered.

Syn let a harsh laugh slip free from her throat. "That's it?"

Loki reached across the table, taking on of her hands into his own. His thumb mindlessly stroked over her knuckles, a habit he had developed over the long years of their relationship. "You see truths," he stated, "if you have foreseen it then it will likely come to pass."

The God of Lies looked down at the drawing table and the scattered pieces of parchment where she had been scribbling down notes from both old and new texts, trying to further decipher her prophetic dreams. "During the next council meeting I will raise your concerns," he stated before drawing in a reluctant sigh, "and ask for Thor's return."

"And Heimdall?" Syn questioned. Loki leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms. The only reason he had wished for Heimdall's exile was for the possibility that he had begun to see through the illusions. "I fear it may be too late to reverse that decision." The council had not questioned him on the move, some had even seemed to agree. "But knowing the Gatekeeper he already has a perfidious plan."

Syn didn't doubt that. Heimdall always seemed to be a step ahead of everyone. Loki rose from his chair, pleased that he had done something to remedy Syn's foul mood toward him. She gripped onto his wrist as he passed her. "Thank you."

Loki leaned down and pressed his lips to her forehead. "Anything for you, my love."

Syn held her hands up in front of a woman and child, both unarmed and screamed. A blue-white energy seeped from her fingertips, knocking back several of the dead Einherjar. Heimdall turned and drove his sword over her shoulder, piercing through one who had tried to attack her from behind. They each exchanged a quick nod before the Watcher stepped back, swinging the large sword in an arc.

"Back, move back," Syn shouted. This was a losing battle though. They had been fighting for what felt like hours and waves of the dead still came. She wasn't a warrior and was in well over her head, all she could do was try to protect those more vulnerable than her.

She focused on the water beneath the bridge, chanting the incantation would give her control. It was risky as she had never been able to accomplish elemental magic before. Though it seemed that she wouldn't have to.

"You're savior is here!" She recognized that voice. Better yet she recognized the pompous tone of the voice. "Loki?" Through the mist and fog emerged a large ship and standing on the extending bridge was Loki, arms spread out. He stepped off onto the Bifrost and several others jumped off the ship with weapons drawn.

"Loki!" Syn called, but she knew he could not yet hear her for the deafening sounds of battle that echoed around them. Immediately the Asgardians started clambering up into the vessel.

Syn spun on her heel, throwing a dagger of light toward a stray Einherjar. Loki strode toward her, golden horns glinting in the light. "Did you miss me?" He asked, smirking.

She grinned and wiped the blood off her lip with the back of her hand. "What kind of question is that?" Syn bit back. Loki tipped her chin up, stealing a quick kiss before drawing one of his daggers, throwing it mindlessly to the side. It found its mark. He placed his hand on her lower back and pushed her toward the ship.

"After you, my love," he said, but Syn didn't move. She wasn't about to be separated from him again. Loki nudged her again, "Go, I will follow." Syn gripped onto his wrist and let her seiðr flow into him, it was reinvigorating to feel such power. Wisps of green light emanated from his hands. Pleased, she stepped back and joined those entering the Statesman.