Chapter Ten

Draco was exhausted. His first Order meeting. God, he already hated them. The grown-ups discussed politics and strategies and he nodded his head and pretended to look like he knew what he was doing. Draco surmised that he had probably failed, considering he noticed Severus smirking at him and Professor McGonagall giving him sympathetic looks. Also, Black kept glaring at him every time he attempted to open his mouth to speak. The criminal had finally awoken and would have cursed Severus there and then if Remus hadn't put a reassuring hand on his shoulder and walked him away. However, Draco was pretty much being shut out. But, he wasn't the only one, and for that he was grateful. No-one, not even Lupin, was letting Sirius speak and currently the werewolf was speaking in little whispers to Black while they stood in a shadowy corner. Draco suspected they were a couple. Same-sex partners was pretty common in the wizarding world, and he was dead sure that Remus wasn't muttering inane things. He was probably confessing his undying love for the not-quite-murderer right this very second. From the slight smile playing on the ex-convict's lips, Draco thought he was most likely right.

*

Hermione was currently prowling the library. She was researching Locomotive Charms for her homework and growled as she failed in finding the book she was after.

"Looking for this?" It was Harry, whom she had not spoken to since the journey to Hogwarts at the beginning of the year, waving Achievements in Charms with a smug air.

"Harry!" Hermione cried, astonished. "You do your own homework now?"

"Always the tone of surprise," Harry said drily. "I think I've picked up a habit from Draco. He's forever working away; bit like you really." He noticed her discomfort and sighed. "I should've realised, of all people, Hermione, you're the one who was most affected by him." Hermione choked: did he mean what she thought he meant? "I mean, he called you names all the time and it must have been really upsetting..." Hermione zoned out. Phew! Harry was not as observant as she had briefly thought.

"So, have you finished with it?" Hermione asked, nodding her head at the book.

"No." Harry frowned. "I got stuck describing the proper wand movements. Perhaps you could help me?"

Hermione blinked in surprise. While Harry had never been particularly rude, he'd certainly never been this polite asking for her help. He and Ron usually begged for her help late at night on a weekday, the day before an assignment was due, claiming they'd 'lost track of time.'

"Sure," replied Hermione, too confused to object.

The two had just settled at a table when a familiar redhead skulked in. He saw the two of them, hesitated, then threw himself into the seat beside Harry.

"Urgh!" He moaned, putting his head in his hands.

The other two glanced at each other before taking action.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked gently.

"Neville is being bloody infuriating!" Came the growled reply.

Hermione looked taken aback. "Look, I know you never particularly liked him, but still. He tries his best, really."

Ron snorted. "I have just spent my afternoon playing chess with that idiot, and he lost every single game!"

Harry stepped in. "Neville was never really very good at anything," he comforted.

"Honestly, Harry, I think I know that by now!" Ron raged. "But for once I wanted some nice decent opposition at chess and the only person I got was him!"

"You could ask Ernie," Hermione proposed.

Ron snorted again. It was an unattractive sight. "That pompous prat."

"Hannah?"

"Justin?"

"Susan?"

"Megan Jones?"

"Wayne Hopkins?"

"Oliver Rivers?"

"HOW MANY BLOODY HUFFLEPUFFS DO YOU KNOW?"

"Too many," Harry said hastily. Hermione nodded her assent. Ron could be unpredictable when furious and enjoyed venting off steam in this particular way.

"That's all right then," Ron replied and settled back in his chair. "What subject are we doing?"

Hermione and Harry blinked.

"Excuse me?" Asked Hermione, incredulous.

"I asked, 'what subject are we doing'?" Ron repeated, unawares.

"Okay," Hermione answered, pleased. "We're doing Charms. So, Harry, Locomotive Charms are used, when?"

"For, um, moving things, and annoying Snape... Look, I don't know."

"Ron?"

"Yep, moving things, annoying Snape, pissing off Lavender and Parvati and hitting Crabbe in the face with pie? Right?"

"Wrong," Hermione snapped.

Both boys sighed.

*****

A.N. This chapter ended really weirdly, I'm sorry. I'm currently writing a strange fanfiction called Beneath the Covers and it seems I'm now writing like that for everything. Despite everything, I liked the Neville-bashing and I hope you did too!