Prologue

Daryl's POV

It's been days since we saved Rackel from the Sanctuary and all she's done is shut herself in our room, wailing at the top of her lungs. She falls asleep then falls victim to horrible night terrors. She hasn't had them this bad since her brother died.

I keep trying to go and comfort her but she recoils at my touch, cowering in the corner; the rejection cutting through me. I learnt to now approach her like I would a cornered wounded animal, slow and steady. I rubbed my arm where she had bit me looking down at the big purple mark she had left, I still couldn't believe she had done that to me.

Rackel slowly backed away from me until her back hit the headboard and  she started shaking "Please Daryl! I just cant" she finally looked up at me and I swallowed the lump in my throat, it hurt seeing her this way. Her eyes were bloodshot and puffy, she'd been crying so long her face matched.

She still wore the clothes that we'd found her in, dirty with dried blood caked all over them.
She refused to change, she also refused drink and I was starting to  really worry for her. It was getting to the point where I was gonna have to pin her down and force feed her; not that I wanted to do that, she'd been through too much already. I held up a bottle of water to her and she tried to hit it away, but I easily dodged it. She was so weak, so frail.

I quickly grabbed her hand and placed the bottle in it, placing my own hand around hers keeping it in place
"God damnit woman! You need te drink, or I'll shove it down ye throat"

she sniffled and reluctantly drew the bottle to her lips, her face wincing as the liquid ran down her throat. She then pulled her knees up and hugged the bottle. I sat on the edge of the bed staring at her, waiting for her to take another sip.

She paused then finally took another sip then looked up at me, and for a split second I could've sworn that the old her was there. But, it was gone the second she blinked and she glazed back over. I sighed and got up off the bed as she placed the bottle on her side table and curled up into the fetal position. I hoped she could finally get some peaceful rest. I slowly walked down the stairs and sat on the bar stool in the kitchen chewing my thumb absently, wondering how my Rackel had gotten to this point.

I heard a knock at the door and rushed to it, not wanting to disturb Rackel. I opened it to see Maggie and Glenn with a small basket of her favourite fruit.
"Just got back from the Hilltop for my check-up and thought Rackel might like these!" Maggie smiled as she pointed to the basket of honeydew in Glenn's arms. I invited them in as I relieved him of the fruit, heading to the living room.

Maggie and Glenn sat close together and my face hardened; I didn't know if Rackel and I would ever get there again. Maggie must've noticed they were making me uncomfortable and moved away from her husband slightly, hands still entwined.
"How is she?"
I began chewing at my fingers again, trying not to ponder too much
"not good" you'd have to be deaf not to hear her crying and screams. I'd already been warned by Rick that I needed to calm her, otherwise he'd have to handle it.
Glenn leaned forward to get my attention "is there anything we can do? Anything at all?"
I shrugged, completely at a loss. Maggie grabbed my free hand and held it
"I know you've waited so long to save her, but we just need to be patient. I couldn't imagine the state I'd be in if I ever lost Glenn"

I felt the anger build at the thought of Negan being Rackel's Glenn.
"It ain't like that! She's jus' confused!" I said it to her whilst reinforcing it to myself. She held her hands up in apology and backtracked
"That's not what I meant, I'm sorry! How about I try to talk to her? Anything's worth a shot at this point right?" Glenn shook his head as he pointed at my arm
"I don't know about that! I mean, look at what she did to Daryl" I grunted, agreeing with him.
"He's right. Can't risk it"

She ignored our protests and headed to the stairs
"She won't hurt me, she's practically my sister. You can wait outside the door it if makes you feel better"
As she headed up we followed closely behind her. But when she arrived at the door she flicked her fingers out at us.
"Shoo, I'll be fine! Give her space" we backed up slightly as she lightly tapped the door
"Rackel sweetie, it's me Maggie. Can I come in?" There was silence before Rackel responded
"OK"
She opened the door, threw back a warning stare at us as she closed off our view behind her. I hoped that Maggie could bring her back.