We're Family

Another night of singing and acting done well. Everyone walked off stage happy as ever. Anne and W.D stayed to say thanks to everyone that came. They showed the kids a few extra tricks just for fun. Philip and P.T walked backstage to get changed back into their daily attire and put the suits back where they go. Phillip walked over to one of the many mirrors, wiped his face, and fixed his hair then walked outside of the tent for some fresh air. He stood for a minute just enjoying the cool winter weather when he heard a sound of yelling. Phillip walked towards the front of the tent, trying to locate where the yelling was coming from. There were at least 10 protestors throwing stuff at the troupe. Phillip walked over not wanting to cause more trouble then there already was but he knew that this wasn't going to end well.

"Is there a problem here, sir?" Said Phillip to one of the men yelling nasty names.

"Yeah, there is. You freaks are in my town! Go home!"

"Sir, you need to leave. No one wants to start a fight. So would you please leave and stop bashing my family." 'Family' thought Phillip. They are my family.

"Maybe I want to start a fight!" Said the man as he punched Phillip in the face. He continuously punches Phillip as the troupe runs in trying to find Barnum.

"Your a fag. Your a freak like all the others. I should just kill you right now!" He spat in his face as he kicked him to the ground.

Anne runs back out with Barnum to see most of the people leaving but this guy still repeatingly hitting and punching Phillip. Phillip was knocked out at this point.

"Get off of him!" Yelled Barnum as he punched the guy a couple of times.

"Freaks!" He Yelled one last time before he walked off.

Barnum got down next to Phillip. Phillip was bleeding from his nose and a couple of places on his face. He had a black eye and a bruised cheek.

"Phillip. Phillip, Phillip!" Said P.T as he tried to wake the boy that was unconscious below him.

"I think he's got a concussion. Anne, go make a spot on the floor for him and sent the others to get water and towels. I'll bring him in." Said Barnum with a mixed expression of worry and hurt on his face.

"Hang on love, you'll be okay" Phineas picked up Phillip with so much ease it was surprising. He carried him back into the tent where the troupe was sitting in the stands. They all turned to the boys as they walked in. Some gasped, some cried when they saw Phillip. But others burst into action to help the man lay him down gently.

"Hey, move out a bit everyone. Can everyone go someplace else so we can make sure he's okay?" Said, Anne as she moved everyone out.

Phineas was just focused on wiping away all of the blood that had accumulated.

"W.D can you go find Phillip some other clothes?" Asked, Anne.

"Yes, ma'am" is all she got back in return.

Phillip jolted back into life by coughing.

"Hey, shhh it's ok. I need you to lay back down. I don't know how badly hurt you are." Said P.T as he held Phillip up through his coughing fits.

Phillip didn't say anything just later back down. He watched as Anne took off his shirt and Phineas continued cleaning up the blood on his face.

"By the looks of it Barnum, I think he's got a couple of broken ribs. You're going to have to be very careful practicing and performing the next few weeks." Said a worrisome Anne.

"There will be no practicing or performing for the next few weeks, Phillip." Said a very stern Barnum.

"But..."

"No. You will rest until you are better."

"That's my job. My passion!" Yelled Phillip.

"I'm sure Mr. Barnum can cover for his boyfriend until he's better young Phillip." Said Anne.

W.D ran back in with an outfit for Phillip. "Here, this is all I could find that was a bit loose and more comfortable."

"Thank you, W.D" Said a very thankful Phineas. "Can you guys give us a minute?"

"Yes"

"Of, course"

When they were alone Phineas turned to Phillip. "What were you thinking? You know how protestors can be Phillip."

"I know but I couldn't just stand there and watch them throw things at my family."

"You should've come and got me."

"I know", Said Phillip with tears in his eyes threatening to spill over.

"Hey, it's ok." Says Phineas noticing the boy is close to tears. He sits the wash rag down and picked up the clean shirt. He sat Phillip us and as gently as possible put the shirt on him. Phineas put a couple of pillows behind Phillip so he could sit up. "Please don't do that again." Pleaded Phineas as he took Phillips hand in his. They sat next to each other and talked for about an hour until they fell asleep.

And that's where Anne found them.