0.2 » cameron

The rest of the day went by rather quickly, I had just finished off writing an essay in my last free period and picked up my bag from the locker. Jonathan walked up to me and grinned sheepishly, readjusting the strap of his backpack over his shoulder.

"I suppose Cameron is going to pick you up from school then?" I shrugged. "Depends on whether he has arrived yet or not. It's only a two hour drive but I don't know when he's getting his ass out of bed. Anyway did you decide yet?" He looked at me with a confused expression. "You know, the party?"

Rolling his eyes he shook his head. "I don't know. Maybe I'll go, maybe not." - "Alrighty, just be sure you decide based on what you want, and not what she wants. Don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do." - "Yes mom."

He pushed the front doors open and I spotted a motorbike across the parking lot.
"Okay so it seems he is already here," I stated, Jonathan squinted and the next moment his eyes were as big as plates. "How can he even afford a damn Harley Davidson? I thought he's in college?!" - "His birthday was a few weeks ago. His parents are lawyers, remember? ... I'll see you tomorrow then," I mumbled before stepping into the bright sunlight, which didn't bring any warmth.

"Well hello there," My cousin grinned at me and patted the seat behind him, I shook my head, smiling, and sat down, snaking my arms around his waist. With a bit of dramatical exaggeration he started the engine and soon we were practically flying over the empty roads towards our house. I had moved in with him a bit more than two years ago due to personal reasons, but after he got accepted into college in Chicago I had the house all to myself most of the time.

Halfway there it started raining which caused him to drive even faster, I clung onto him like my life depended on it, and frankly it did.

When we finally arrived at home we got off the bike and he quickly brought it to the small shed at the back that we primarily used as a garage.

"Nononono, get over here, I need to show you something," Cameron said just as I headed toward the front door. Raising an eyebrow I stepped back , hesitating, then walked over to him and crossed my arms.

"You know, that was really irresponsible of you," I laughed as he brushed some invisible dust from his arm. "What that I picked you up from school? That was hella responsible of me, I have no idea what you're talking about." - "Well I wasn't wearing a helmet and neither were you. Plus you were far over the speed limit." With a smug grin he patted my back, then pulled me into a bear hug, slightly picking me up before setting me back down again.

"I brought you something," He continued after he let go of me, the grin only intensifying. "Or rather I've got a belated birthday present for you. Now I know it's been two months already and I know you told me not to get you anything but after all that's my decision, isn't it?"

I remained quiet, knowing I couldn't stop him anymore anyway.

"Close your eyes," My cousin demanded, and his eyes sparkled out of excitement, so I just had to oblige and not ruin this for him. He then placed his hands on my shoulders, guiding me, and soon enough the sound of the rustling leaves beneath my feet was replaced by shoes of concrete. Suddenly we stopped and he told me to open my eyes again; my jaw dropped to the floor.

"Are you shitting me right now?" - "Language," He warned and I stuck my tongue out, still with eyes as big as the moon.

"The Impala? The freaking Impala?!" Cam nodded. "But-" He interrupted me before I could even ask. "You did see I've got my Harley now, right? You were on there just a few minutes ago, remember? Also, you've always liked that car and I'm more of a motorbike person anyways. So ... happy extremely belated birthday...?"

I jumped at my cousin in excitement, hugging him and luckily he caught me before I could fall face first to the ground. Now I had an own car, an extremely cool one not to mention, and I didn't depend on others anymore to get anywhere. That was just perfect.

It was getting cold so we decided to go back inside, where I made us some coffee and warmed up some leftover pizza from last night. Cameron sat at the kitchen table, absentmindedly flipping through the newspaper, while I was leaning against the fridge.

"Okay but ... what's the catch?"

He looked at me, puzzled. "About the car." - "Nothing, really," He insisted. "Well I might have to ask my dear cousin who I love a lot to maybe pick me up after the party tomorrow?" I shrugged. "I can live with that. As long as you don't throw up in there." - "Don't worry." He raised his arms in defense and I smiled, hoping he'd live up to that promise.

I wasn't even surprised he already knew about the party, it was no secret that Tina had been wanting to get in his pants for the past two years, unsuccessfully, as far as I knew.

"Is Tina still the same?" He asked as though he'd read my mind, I nodded slowly. "Same old." - "Too bad. She's cute but unbelievably dumb. Not to mention too young." The last point was added by him after I raised an eyebrow at the part about her being cute.

The pizza was done finally and I sat down at the table as well, both of us eating in silence for a bit.

"How's everything going anyway? Anything interesting going on? Anyone new at school?" He asked and took a sip of his coffee. I chewed down the last bits of the slice of pizza and drank some coffee as well.
"Not really no, same old shithole. I mean there's a new guy but he's an absolute douche as far as I know." - "Oh? Tell me more," He took another bite and looked at me intently.

"From California, blue Camaro, you might have seen that car. Knows ninety percent of the girls are just waiting to get in his pants, practically bathes in it, and has a really cocky smile. Gross." - "Denim on denim?" I nodded and leaned back in my chair, Cameron emptied the mug with one swig and stretched his arms into the air.

"So really nothing interesting, huh?" Shaking my head I pulled my legs up to the chair. "But maybe that's good. Or maybe it's just the calm before the storm, I mean who knows." - "You're as pessimistic as ever, Luce."

"Told you, same old."