Chapter Nine

Abigail wished that she had a time machine. She would have left the castle without the horses, would not have allowed Ben to leave without supervision, and would not have accepted her godfather's request.

"Abigail? Are you all right? If you do not want the berries I can get you something else."
Abi looked to Nate with a smile playing on her face. Sara and Ben were talking over by the oak tree, and Ben grasped Sara's hand tightly. The couple were sharing breakfast, while the rest of them were eating altogether, talking about strategies to keep Ben undercover.

Nate, being the only good cook, had gone through his saddlebag and pulled out berries. Nate had handed them all out and scolded everyone when they inhaled them.

"I'm quite all right Nate. Thank you again for the berries. I just might need some cool, fresh water."
"Ah, well, about that. Sara needed everybody's water to clean out Ben's cuts and bruises. In short, there is no clean water on any of us."
Abigail nodded, knowing that unclean water could infect cuts. "Nate, can you get my horse? I want to look for a freshwater river."
"Princess, there is no way you are leaving unattended after you fainted. I will come with you. I know clean water when I see it."
"We have a deal. I'm afraid that I can not identify clean water. I just wanted to get away."
Nate nodded and went to collect Dez, and Abigail saddled up Joy.

They began the journey in awkward silence, or at least until Nathan broke it. "Did you see Ben's face when he realized that Sara was the one looking after him?"
Abi laughed. "Yes. It was an incredible moment. Did you see the flicker of recognition on his face and the way he grabbed her hand?"
Nate now too laughed. "Yes, indeed. I think the cutest moment so far was the way she stroked his cheek and murmured apologies."
"That's what she was saying?"
"Yes. I was close enough to hear it all. You passed out before any of this. How did you know about the hand?"
Abi shrugged. "I guess I was semi-conscious. I could see enough, but then I fainted again."
"Matt didn't mention any semi-consciousness."
"He must not have noticed it."
Nate shook his head and continued on. "Abigail, everybody was worried about you. What really happened?"
"I do not like to see a lot of blood. It makes me squirm inwardly. Ben was bleeding way too much for me to handle."
Nate nodded and stopped Dez. They were nearing a stream, and by the way Nathan looked at it, it was clean.

"Abigail, this is a clear stream."
"That's nice. Nathan, do you have any sisters?"
"What? Oh yeah. I have two. Selena and Tris. Selena is a year younger, and Tris is two years older. I think I told you this before."
"Really? What are they like?"
"Selena's nice enough. Tris is really gentle. Mama always wanted daughters. I heard her telling Father that she always wanted a houseful of daughters, and she had no need for a son. Father said that he had wanted a son more than anything, and he also said that having me was more than he could hope. Mama started to argue, but then she realized I was there. It was sad, really. She apologized and told me that her two girls and myself were perfect for both Father and me. She did not know she was expecting another baby at that point in time."
"Wow, Nathan. Do any of your friends know the whole story?"
"No. I love my sisters, and Mama does not show favourites. I think Tris is her favourite child, even though my older sister gets a lot more work." Nate smiled, but Abigail could tell that family favouritism worried him a lot. He was definitely his father's favourite, but his mother had only wanted daughters. That must have been a blow.
They filled up all the canteens and headed back. Abi and Nate came back to find everybody teasing Sara and Ben, who were both beet red.

"What happened over here?"
Matt turned towards his friend and only acknowledged him. "Nate, we found Sara and Ben holding hands and speaking as if only they could hear each other. It was cute really."
Abigail could not take any more of his taunting. "Stop taunting them! Sara just got reunited with Ben after hearing he got stoned! Ben just found Sara too! Would you not dislike it if someone was teasing you about your girl?
Matt's face hardened. "No, I wouldn't. Peasants, as you call us, have teased me about Taylor and me for years."
Billy piped up. "Yeah well, you two are a perfect couple."