Chapter Twenty-Five

Matt cursed. Lord Nolan had arrived and he knew Abigail's real identity. Abigail took a few steps back and wrapped her arms around her body. It took a second for Matt to realize that she was afraid of Lord Nolan. Matt's heart drummed. They were not careful enough.

Lord Nolan put his arms around Abigail, trapping her. Matt slunk into the shadows and stopped by a tree. He could now hear what Lord Nolan was saying.

"Now my love, you will marry me and do as I say. I do not want to have to force you into marrying me."

He was such a creep, it made Matt forget all the plans forming themselves in his mind. Matt lunged, and Lord Nolan swiped at his stomach with his sword. Matt deflected the hit and disarmed the man.
"You will never come near here again unless you want to feel real pain!!!" Matt swiped slowly down onto the earl's wrist. He screamed in pain and Abigail ran to the forest. She came back with her bow, and she shot Lord Nolan straight in the thigh. Matt marvelled at how calm she was.

"Abigail Everett, you have skills!"
The corner of her mouth lifted a wry smile. "Why thank you, Sir Matthew. You have great sword skills as well."
"Why that is by far the nicest thing I've heard all day."
Lord Nolan of Ayr went flying. He scrambled as best he could with an arrow in the thigh and his wrist bleeding.

Matt had one decision. He could follow the earl and kill him, or leave him to die.

~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~

Nolan ran for his life. He had left his betrothed and her protector in the woods. He was hurt, so very badly hurt. He did not know if he would live. He had to plot revenge.

He had to kill the troublesome Matthew Larsson.

~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~

Matt knew that he had made a new enemy. He just wanted sweet Abigail safe. Matt had the itching suspicion that Lord Nolan would hire Douglas to kill him.

He had to put a stop to it. He had to run. He stopped in his tracks, remembering Abigail. He turned and saw her holding a hurt rabbit. Pride swelled in his chest. This feeling was something other than pride... it was almost loving. He fought against it, but when she tried to calm the irritated animal, it tore his heart in two. She had the other half.

"Abi, are you trying to keep it alive?"
She looked up. "But of course. Wouldn't little Rosie love a rabbit for a pet?"
The idea was so sweet it nearly made Matt cry. Here Abigail was, thinking of his cousin and making sure she was happy. Rabbits were somewhat pests, but Matt was sure that his cousin could tame the animal and speak to it. A pony would indeed be nicer, seeing as Rosie loved horses, but she could settle for a sweet little bunny.

"Do you need help?
"No. Thank you." She coaxed the animal to allow her to stroke it, and the rabbit nibbled on her finger. "Aw! She's so sweet!"
Matt shook his head, ran back to his house to get a crate, and arrived with a fully-made, rabbit-friendly home.

"Oh, Matt! It's perfect for Angel!"
"Angel..." He handed the cage over and together they coaxed the nervous rabbit into the pen. She sniffed around and lay down, looking content. Her hurt leg was stuck out. Sara could fix that.

Matt walked Abigail home and went into his own. He saw his father sitting in his favourite chair by the blazing fireplace. He shivered. His father handed him a cup of coffee and told him to go to bed. Matt tried to protest, but his father nearly shoved him into his bedroom. Matt wondered why his father would want privacy, and then he realized 'twas the day of his mother's passing. He'd forgotten, and he went straight to bed, dreaming of his mother's hugs and warmth. His mother changed into Abigail, and she welcomed him into her arms. The dream was so content; he subconsciously nestled down and fell into a deeper trance.